rechargeable table lamps

boardingbob

I work at a multi use arts centre where the occasional wedding is a nice extra source of income to balance the squillions we lose every time we put on some contemporary dance.

However the hall were people have their wedding breakfast is somewhat lacking in character or subtle lighting. Have considered buying narrow angle downlights to light each table individually, but it will take up most of my spare channels and much of the overhead rigging positons PLUS the tables aren't always in the same place.

SO thinking about stylish, rechargable, table lights. I've seen the Neoz ones on line including this one and that's the sort of thing I think we'd need - fairly bright, robust etc. Anyone have any experience of these? Plus just how staggeringly expensive are they - judging by the glossy website I'd guess pretty heart-stoppingly pricey. And can anyone suggest another manufacturer doing a similar thing in the UK?

How's your basic engineering skills?...

MDF box painted black containing an LED colour changing MR16 and a rechargeable battery. Sit a glass vase full of those glass pebbles on top and bob's your father's brother.

Hey there,

I've run into this problem more times than I care to mention. Irritating isn't it?

I have brought LOADS of these and they look beautiful. A little pricey mind but I think they are much nicer than anything else I have tried.

My link

As others suggest. narrow beam spots are certainly worth considering.

I dont understand your statement that use of such would take up most of the dimmer channels.

Such spots have a relatively low loading, and several dozen could be used from a typical dimmer.

Coloured MR16 lamps are available, pink or yellow being perhaps suitable.

The LED candles linked to above are certainly attractive, but give very little light, less than a real candle. No good if illumination rather than decorative effect is desired.

One option might be strings of battery LED Christmas lights on an arrangement of real or artificial flowers.

The multi coloured ones look a bit out of place except at Christmas, but the warm white ones might be suited.

A string of 25 costs only a few £ and runs for many hours from 3AA cells, the total light output is subjectively equal to at least a 15 watt GLS lamp, and perhaps 25 watts.

If you require a tradditional style table lamp, this may have to be homemade.

I have used a cheap d0m3stic table lamp with a rectangular base. Make the base deeper with an MDF frame and conceal a 12 volt battery within.

Fit a 12 volt low energy lamp.

Or 4 D cells and a halogen torch bulb.

Or build a wooden box to take one or even two 12 volt 7A/H lead acid batteries, threaded brass tube perhaps 300mm high with a standard brass BC lampholder at the top.

Fit a 12 volt lamp and a decorative shade of your choice.

One battery and a 7watt CFL gives about 7 hours light

Two batteries and an 11 watt CFL gives about 12 hours light.

(my Mother has one of these for power cuts, much more decorative than most battery lights)

What size are your tables? get sheets of polycarb porch roof slip some batteries in the slots and a set of led Christmas lights in the centre. WHite cloths then have a nice glow. OK wireless DMX lets you play with the lights during the evening but a simple switch lets you do on and off manually

A nice CHEAP, Pretty, Easy solution that can incorporate the FLOWERS for the Table: Great for Weddings as the Light and Flowers normally compete for space on the Table.

1. CLEAR Glass/ Plastic Vase

2. White OSRAM Dot-It Waterproof Light - see Here Osram Dot-It ( Price as low as £7.00 )

3. Turn on The light --- then

4. Fill With ICE and then top up with Water

5. Arrange the Flowers into the Vase

Benefits:

Heath and Safety Freindly !!!

Quick and Easy to assemble - Give the light to the Florist to do the work

Reusable

The Ice will tend to refract the light onto the Table.

Nobody will steal the lights.

Here is a large vase using 3 OSRAM Dot-It doing exactly that: There is also a Projector shining on the flowers giving the flowers changing colours.

http://www.solar250.co.uk/images/led.jpg

Hey all

Some great ideas here.

Pretty much written off the narrow spots - mostly because I don't want to be up a blinkin' ladder refocusing them every time we have a private event. We only have a couple of bars over the auditorium, so they'd take up a relatively large proportion of the usable spaces and would need to be plugged locally, ideally into one of my v few non-dims so they're easy for the FOH ladies to switch on and off if I'm not there etc, etc.

Although I've made loads of props and battery based gizmos for shows I hadn't really considered it here as we've not much in the way of workshops. However, that clearly need not be a problem with a bit of thought. Especially if I nick develop something from SoamJ and Brian's suggestions. As long as I can avoid the 'home made' look, it'll be a much cheaper solution than the (still fabulous) rechargeable lamps in my original post.

Other ideas still welcome, but there are some top ones for me to think on allready!

chin chin

For any of you that are interested, I got the 'trade' prices today for the fancy rechargeable lamps in my original post. They start around £140 each and go up to around £200 - excluding taxes and freight from Australia, naturally. So I can have maybe two of them or a whole room full of lovingly-crafted home-made pracs. Pracs it is...

Archived