Ev Tour X series

makarunga

I need to cover 5000 people. thanks

Mike

How often do you need to cover ~5,000?

What are the events?

What's the programme material?

Indoors/outdoors?

What about all the other stuff - desks, mons, mics, cabling, distro, cases?

This sounds like a new idea and that you don't have much idea - have you got a business plan, firm contracts, purchase orders?

£300k may or may not be enough.

At that level, £300k will burn very easily - a couple of hangs of J with subs will take you over that!

I dont think he's going to jump from looking at TX2152 to d&b J8 or J12 but I can see the point your trying to make that £300,000 is never going to buy much d&b, Meyer or L-Acoustics etc etc and if he's looking at doing live work then he's really in for a shock ** laughs out loud ** .......List price on a Pro6 anyone ??

Some of the responses seem not to have realised a few salient facts that David E spotted.

1) 'Mike' is not pro PA guy.

2) The work he does is not normally commercially oriented in our terms.

3) Flown line arrays would be great but quite often depend in Kenya on locating the stage between convenient trees. Star Events haven't got a local depot.

4) There isn't much of a second hand market or many large PA hire companies in East Africa as my mates in Mozambique confirm.

5) 80% of the country is mains electricity free. Mind you the power cuts prevalent for the other 20% make that a bonus, it's dependably lacking. http://www.nation.co.ke/Tech/Rising+mobile+use+fuels+demand+for+solar+devices/-/1017288/1108770/-/wojmwxz/-/index.html

40,000,000 Kenyan shillings is, I presume, far beyond the budget and an expansion of the current system is what is needed. Am I correct?

I also don't believe that he will often be promoting Coldplay to these 5,000 punters so state-of-the-art systems are not exactly necessary.

Given these parameters can any of the experienced PA guys or companies help this guy out with common sense advice? He can't afford to swap amps so he is unlikely to be able to become a profitable customer but I think that BR can help.

His profile says he works in humanitarian aid which should be borne in mind.

You could maybe look at buying some old KF850... ?? Nice loud box and very cheap these days, only problem is there tri-amp which is very old hat but it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

You will not be able to effectively cover 5000 people with an EV Tour X series system. Look at the X-array, X-Line, XLC systems for a more suitable rig.

If your actually looking to cover 5000 folk with rock concert levels, your going to be looking at around £300,000 minimum in terms of rig.

Adam

32x box's of Void Arcline ( 16x midtop 16x bass) covers over 5000 and doesn't cost anywhere near £300,000.....

True, I was just refering to guide prices for the kind of rig I would normally spec for a 5000 person show eg, a truck load of D&B Q-series/ J-series.

Anyhoo, I believe your best bet Mike is to look on the used market, as you'll get a lot more 'bang for your buck' than buying new. Takeiteasy's suggestion of KF850s is a pretty sound recommendation. If you find enough of them, they would do the trick. Sound good and go loud. Alternately Martin Wavefront 8C is pretty common and can be had for good prices.

Adam

I used to work for Wigwam acoustic and they had some involvement in religious outreaches in west africa

They used Meyer MSL3's and 650 subs, I believe 4 or 6 per side and this would cover 10,000

The other ting about west africa is that because there is less airborne pollution vocals from an MSL3 have been known to throw for mucking files

Also using oldschool amps like the v800 & MT1200 the top can be taken off and sand be jetwashed out

wow...8x msl3 to cover 10,000... impressive to say the least

Yes indeed, as above probably due to the lack of pollution.

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread or are you just posting banal comments to get your post count up?

To the OP, what sort of program material are you putting through the PA? I don't think we've covered that yet.

Also, given the OP is in Kenya, transport may be an issue to get the gear over there, but would something horn loaded be more appropriate to throw the sound, rather than a frontloaded box? I.E something more like the old roybins and horns approach?

Yes indeed, as above probably due to the lack of pollution.

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread or are you just posting banal comments to get your post count up?

To the OP, what sort of program material are you putting through the PA? I don't think we've covered that yet.

Also, given the OP is in Kenya, transport may be an issue to get the gear over there, but would something horn loaded be more appropriate to throw the sound, rather than a frontloaded box? I.E something more like the old roybins and horns approach?

I think your find I'v added a fair amount of useful / readable content to this topic, yes I would be very impressed to see 8x MSL 3 cover 10,000 people... is that ok to share that or should I send you a message before I post in future ?

Thanks Adam for your post. I think it makes a lot of sense what you say. I had not considered storage and transport.

Lets say I go for the 500pax one. which models would you recommend. double15'' and 18'' or singes? and can I get the same effect of a double 18'' bass by combining 2singe 18''s.

Thanks

It is quite impressive but I do not doubt the anecdote.... it relies on a couple of things... low ambient or environmental noise (possibly a better term than airborne pollution) and a different mindset and expectation.

The laws of physics stay pretty much the same(!), but if what you need to hear can be detected at 50 or 60dB and the crowd is prepared to listen quietly and not demand gut wrenching bass, then it can work quite well. We tend to say that such crowd numbers can be only be "covered" by a large amount of gear, and it's not wrong - as we expect wide bandwidth, high sound pressure levels. In less 'technology rich' countries being able to make it audible would be an excellent starting point.

Some of the larger African evangelical meetings covered ~ 500,000 people with a few dozen rentrant horns. Sometimes addressing the lack of power, security and infractructure is far more important than absolute audio quality.

Simon

Thanks Adam for your post. I think it makes a lot of sense what you say. I had not considered storage and transport.

Lets say I go for the 500pax one. which models would you recommend. double15'' and 18'' or singes? and can I get the same effect of a double 18'' bass by combining 2singe 18''s.

Thanks

Hi There,

I'd say it's probably worth concentrating on how the drivers are loaded (rather than what size they are) when looking at covering large amounts of people. Look for a hornloaded system as opposed to a front-loaded one - this should allow you to cover more people 'per box'.

As an example, the MSL-4 only has a 12" LF driver, but because it's on such a large horn its will throw very far.

Is it possible for you to find some suppliers of used sound gear there and maybe list what they have that fits your budget? Maybe we could help you make a good choice.

Thanks

Mike

Archived