Fold out or telescopic T-bars for quick fit up backdrop

Damian Jay

Hello All,

Bit of a strange one this, and yes, I have done quite a few searches already. I'm also not sure if I have this in the right section of the forums. Please feel free to move it if I have this in the wrong place :-)

I am looking to make myself a 4 metre wide by 3 metre (max) high backdrop that I would like to add into my touring shows

This backdrop must be extremly quick to put up and take down (under 5 mins)

The backdrop material will be attached to the bar semi perminatly, although will be removeable for cleaning. Probably tied to the bar the same way some blacks are tied to stage bars.

And it must be lightweight (down to the choice of material Im guessing, although I'm leaning more towards using a star cloth attached to the bar)

This bar will sit on 1 wind up stand that has max height of 3 metres.

I have seen a product I like, and have taken my inspiration from see LINKY 1 to see a video demo of the kinda thing Im looking to make.

LINKY 1 This is the kinda thing I want to achieve

My question to all you clever people is:- are there such things as fold out t-bar stands? or some other kind of product that do the job. Or is this a custom made fold out bar. If its the latter what would be the best way to make something similar?

During my internet searching I have found this product LINKY 2. This looks great but has a limitation of being only 2.3 metres wide when fully extended so not wide enough. I guess I could use two of them but would rather just have the one stand to contend with.

Another question here: Does anyone know of something similar to this product that has a longer main section and will therefore extend out further?

In case anyone is wondering why I dont just buy the product in LINKY 1 ........ its down to the fact that its really expensive initally and I dont fancy adding to that the shipping costs, the carriers 'handling fee' and of course the import duty. And I like a challenge ** laughs out loud **

Any advice or other product info would be of great help and appriciated.

Kind Regards

Damian Jay

A mate of mine who is a magician has something that sounds like what you want, though its not a sturdy as that thing in the video.

It's a vertical pole, like a glorified mic stand, with a couple of fold-out wings. They aren't as big as what you desire, but they sure go up and down quick.

Perhaps you need to haunt a magicians shop?

I've used some extending upright/horizontals in the past for just this sort of use - Hawthorns do them - here - but a couple of my local suppliers also stock them.

Basically there's a weighted footplate, with a telescopic upright which has slots in the top of the pole. The also telescopic horizontals (which come in 2 or 3 sizes) then hook on to these slots.

You have the option of setting them up at lowest level then - with enough bodies, 1 per upright - raising them up to working height, or if you are working solo * you set them at height then run along with your step ladders and hang the cloth. The uprights are on a friction bearing so once you hoist them up they stay until you push the release clip.

Very neat and tidy option. However please note that they're not a standard scaff diameter so not much good for hanging lanterns (and in most situations I wouldn't feel comfy doing so anyway).

* 'solo' inasmuch as others may be there to watch your back as you climb and/or foot the ladders etc.

or if you are working solo * you set them at height then run along with your step ladders and hang the cloth. The uprights are on a friction bearing so once you hoist them up they stay until you push the release clip.

No need for all that - you can tie on the cloths at working height and raise the poles one by one, about 18" at a time. The clips on the end of the horizontals pivot to allow that. It's a great system!

Have a look at Spiderflex - I know a couple of magicians who use them as backdrops. Takes about 5 seconds to set up! (I'm sure they're not the sole preserve of magicians but those are the only circles in which I ever encounter them).

Hi all,

Thanks for the info :-)

I did check out the Spiderflex system and iis AWESOME, sadly tho way over my shoe-string budget.

The idea of using the pipe and drape system from Hawthorns would be a great solution. I did come across this article LINKY BY Steve Kramien. I like the idea of the base plate with the upright pole system.

Once again off I went searching along a new tangent to find that the base plate is called a Tank Trap and once again I'm astounded at the cost of these. Cheapest I found them for was £78.99 EACH !

Does anyone have any Tank Traps they dont want? with my favourite word attached - CHEAP :-) ** laughs out loud **

I'm not intending to put any lighting fixtures on the backdrop itself, I will be using two stands of led pars out front pointing into the small performing area. 4 led cans on each stand.

I'm gonna spend a few hours throwing some ideas about and see if I can come up with another alternative. After all, it is a solution oppertunity ** laughs out loud ** :-)

Once again, thank you all for your comments, advice and more importantly .... your time :-)

Kind Regards

Damian Jay :)

Oooooooo Parasol bases ..... I never thought of that :-)

And I will be Googleing metal workshops tomorrow ... a crate of beers is a lot cheaper than the traps ** laughs out loud **

I can forsee a lot of problems with the concrete idea .... ** laughs out loud ** I'd have to make sure I got videod mixing that and making concrete bases as I'm sure that thats a disaster in the

making. The video would very likely end up on You've Been Framed ROFL

Again .... Thank you for your help and of course your time :-)

Kind Regards

Damian Jay

Archived