16amp to 13amp sockets

TheMan

hi peeps!! from my generator I have a 32amp output going to a breaker box with 4x 16amp sockets. I need to convert these 16amps to 13amp sockets.... I was planning on making my own 13amp distribution boards using metal clad sockets with the 16amp input to them. I was just wondering how the 13amp sockets should be connected up... series or parallel?? cheers!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of topic a tad, but surely this is something that is covered at Derby? Go and speak to Simon and or Kit? I'm sure they have the electrical knowledge! Well I hope so as they'll be lecturing me next year!

Also, boswell, bit of a stereotype no? I was a student last year and will be next year and I know it's gotta be parallel?! And many of my peers last year would know from GCSE physics!

J

Of topic a tad, but surely this is something that is covered at Derby?

PM already sent to OP ;-)

It does just so happen that portable appliance testing and practical power distribution is the first topic to be covered when teaching starts again in January. BS7671 and BS7909 is covered in year 2. Basic electrical safety is covered as part of induction.

As far as the original question is concerned, did you mean to ask about radial or ring wiring? If so, that would be understandable. If not, ;)

Simon

I assume certain people at Derby will be squirming.

Over the years, we've become known as a forum that is not too tolerant of students when they are working outside of their comfort zone, and sadly this post - originally in the main forum is one of the posts that shows just how easy it is for people to want to be able to do everything themselves, but make it very clear to everyone that they haven't actually understood the implications. What is particularly of concern is that the word 'student' - because we seem to forget that it really just says that someone is in the process of learning. The only real issue is that for some topics, revealing your weak areas to an audience of industry people and other experts is something of a sacrificial process.

It's very easy for us all to say the wrong thing - I did it myself in a topic by using the word 'DC' when I meant 'AC' - I suspect people give me the benefit of the doubt that if I had had the tag 'student' I may not have got.

The topic of down grading power supplies and connectors gets covered a lot, and pretty well us old lags can predict the responses.

The official, best practice (and exam proof) answer to all of these is to mention protection - as the supply can obviously provide more than the connectors and cabling can handle. Many users routinely disregard this themselves, but have to promote it to others. Nobody is usually willing to say it's fine to put a 13A socket on the end of a 125A plug! Putting a 13A socket on a 16A plug is the same issue really - we're just arguing about scale!

So you will always get the 'correct' answer, and us mods even sometimes remove posts promoting the alternate view for common sense and safety reasons. Hence why these are always better answered by asking the very people who almost expect daft questions - your tutors.

TheMan, or soon to be TheXman if you build stuff and then ask how to wire it up.

You did not ask about cable sizes or protection devices. In other words if you do not know what you do not know, (and how could you without being trained, say)ergo the job is, at present, beyond your competence.

Suggest you find a proper sparks and pay him to build the "distro" to your specs. It may be he will discover all sorts of probs you are not able to recognise...at present.

The foregoing is not just for your safety, it is for anyone who was "affected" by your set up. It would fairly difficult to defend yourself in court, if you follow.

HTH

You really are digging a grave! I can't say I've ever found a portable ring distribution system.

I'd really suggest you stop now because it's so clear you have no idea about this kind of thing. Ring-Radial-Series-Parallel????

I really cannot see anything except additional 'amazed' posts being added - so to spare you further humiliation, I'll close this topic.

Paul

Moderation: It's been pointed out that the radial v ring comment was probably intended to refer to wiring from the 16A input connector to the 13A sockets. An interesting one, this - and would seem to suggest that in this case circuit protection would not actually be necessary? I'll open it up again, because as far as I remember (could be wrong) we haven't done this particular variety of connection style before?

Moderation: It's been pointed out that the radial v ring comment was probably intended to refer to wiring from the 16A input connector to the 13A sockets. An interesting one, this - and would seem to suggest that in this case circuit protection would not actually be necessary? I'll open it up again, because as far as I remember (could be wrong) we haven't done this particular variety of connection style before?

16 or 20 amp radials feeding one or more 13amp sockets are standard circuits featured in BS7671, there wouldn't be much point wiring them as a ring.

There is no need for any additional protection as the fuse in the 13 amp plug will effectively protect the socket. the cable feeding it is covered by the protection on the 16 amp circuit. There shouldn't be any need to add any other protection, after all we connect 13 amp sockets to 32 amp circuits without adding any extra protection.

The ring main was designed as a means of wiring a house quickly and cheaply, it was never intended for anything else.

Please don't. Metal clad sockets are designed to be fixed to a wall, not for use in trailing extension leads.

ay????? as long as you use the correct gland for the cable entry then what other problems are there? unless your mistaking metal back boxes foir metalclad pattresses

Archived