Reducing manual handling

NineStoneCowboy

I am looking at ways to reduce manual handling in my venue (a school theatre).

I am trying to use off-the-shelf solutions to make tasks easier and less reliant on heavy lifting.

For instance, our stock of scaffold pipe legs is moving into stillages (Stillages) and can be shifted using a manual pallet truck.

We invested in meat-racks to reduce the amount of lugging lanterns around (and improve our storage).

I am replacing our knackered old flight cases with new stock.

This leaves us with our steeldeck stock - storing it on edge and slotting it into its storage bay is the most efficient use of our space, but means more tilting and tipping. Stacking it is a more stable means of storage but is less efficient use of space given that there is limit to how high the deck can safely be stacked.

Does anyone use mechanical means (other than castors) to stack steeldeck?

I'd be interested to know:

-if there are any fork lift users out there (although a forklift could not be used on our floor due to weight limitations)

- if there are any manual pallet stacker users out there using them for steeldeck stacking?

-if anyone has any other mechanical solutions?

regards,

9SC.

One of the hire companies here uses a manual pallet lifter in their warehouse, including for steeldeck stacking. They put seven decks on a pallet, ratchet strap them to the pallet and then the pallet gets lifted onto Dexion shelving, two pallet-loads to a shelf, two shelves high. We had a seriously big earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) here three months ago and the steeldecking didn't budge. This method does still mean that you're throwing decking around quite a bit - it gets put in the truck on its edge so you're always tipping and tilting it - but with proper lifting methods it's fine. I'm five foot nothing and while I'm strong for my size, I'm not all that strong, but I have no problem slinging steeldeck around provided I do it properly.

then stack the rest on top upside down,that way you can fit the legs whilst stacked,slide it to the edge of the stack and let gravity assit you in flipping it over into place,.

Why have I never thought of this? Wheeling a stack around then tipping it into place sounds great compared to lift off, flip over, put legs in, flip back over, carry into place :)

then stack the rest on top upside down,that way you can fit the legs whilst stacked,slide it to the edge of the stack and let gravity assit you in flipping it over into place,.

Why have I never thought of this? Wheeling a stack around then tipping it into place sounds great compared to lift off, flip over, put legs in, flip back over, carry into place :)

Same. And when I use deck to move a bunch of stuff it will stay on easier as well.

The tips so far have been good but have you considered doing away with the need for temporary decking? Have you considered reducing the weight of the decking, minimising the frequency of handling and other factors? Are your decking legs steel or aluminium and can you reduce their weight?

You will need to carry out an RA in any case, particularly in a school, and the HSE website has plenty of help with this. The first consideration is always, "Avoid where possible" so approach it from that angle. Minimise both in weight and frequency of operations and make sure that manufacturers instructions are followed (Steeldeck say two OR MORE people should handle each unit.) Be careful about loadings on casters as the last thing you want is one collapsing whilst being moved with a pile of decks on top. Steeldeck supply casters and have a maximum load limit for them. The US Steeldeck site states 2,000lb for the nylon swivel caster but only 400lb for the rubberised braked caster.

If you do what Hippy suggests, and I have in the past, make sure that the whole stack cannot slide away from you whilst flipping the decks....bl00dy awkward and fairly dangerous. Also do not stack too high when doing this, remember that weight guidelines are guidelines and Zimbabwean second-row forwards tend to be able to handle things I, for one, cannot. Goliath piles it up, Goliath gets it down; make your RA's to suit the least hairy of the crew, not the powerlifters.

Must say it is good to see some thought going into this, nice one!!

We've made up a collection of 18mm ply boxes on heavy duty castors (basically just open topped flight cases) that are just the right size for our commonly used scaff legs. The whole box can be pushed to the work area without mucking around with pallet trucks, good for venues that regularly use a variety of legs and storing with the deck isn't usefull.

Kerry Davies - thanks for your post, in response to your points:

- Have you considered doing away with temporary decking ? Yes, but only in my dreams, sadly steeldeck is here to stay in my venue. It is our stage extension of choice and our tiering of choice.

-Have you considered reducing the weight of the decking? Steeldeck remains the deck of choice for me despite being flipping heavy - it's commonality, strength, durability and ease of modification make it a very practical stage choice.

-Use Aluminium Legs? Good idea, I may well consider a rolling replacement of our steel stock with Ally but it won't happen overnight. Steel legs would be my preference when constructing larger stages or strutures.

-Can you minimise the frequency of handling? - Believe me, I don't move steeldeck any more than I have to... "Avoid Double Handling" has always been a mantra for me.

As for RA and Method Statement - fortunately, we are pro-active in our approach to H&S and have RA and MS in place that get scrutinised - there's training in place for staff and students. I'm in my 6th year of full time employment and have been working in the industry in a paid capacity for ten years in total - I have another course on Risk Assessment on Thursday, oh joy of joys....

Anyway, just to return to the question of my first post:

Does anyone use mechanical means (other than castors) to stack steeldeck?

ie. we shall assume that we have a stack of deck on castors, what mechanical means could you use to create the stack?

I'd be interested to know:

-if there are any fork lift users out there (although a forklift could not be used on our floor due to weight limitations)

- if there are any manual pallet stacker users out there using them for steeldeck stacking?

-if anyone has any other mechanical solutions?

9SC.

The tips so far have been good but have you considered doing away with the need for temporary decking? Have you considered reducing the weight of the decking, minimising the frequency of handling and other factors? Are your decking legs steel or aluminium and can you reduce their weight?

You will need to carry out an RA in any case, particularly in a school, and the HSE website has plenty of help with this. The first consideration is always, "Avoid where possible" so approach it from that angle. Minimise both in weight and frequency of operations and make sure that manufacturers instructions are followed (Steeldeck say two OR MORE people should handle each unit.) Be careful about loadings on casters as the last thing you want is one collapsing whilst being moved with a pile of decks on top. Steeldeck supply casters and have a maximum load limit for them. The US Steeldeck site states 2,000lb for the nylon swivel caster but only 400lb for the rubberised braked caster.

If you do what Hippy suggests, and I have in the past, make sure that the whole stack cannot slide away from you whilst flipping the decks....bl00dy awkward and fairly dangerous. Also do not stack too high when doing this, remember that weight guidelines are guidelines and Zimbabwean second-row forwards tend to be able to handle things I, for one, cannot. Goliath piles it up, Goliath gets it down; make your RA's to suit the least hairy of the crew, not the powerlifters.

Must say it is good to see some thought going into this, nice one!!

Instead of doing a full flip, we have a dolly manufactured which is like an upside down T. The bottom slopes in towards the center. It is a rather large trolley with rather large castors, as well as holes for forks. Packing down, you place the trolley about the length of the legs off to the side of the steel deck, and tip it onto the trolley. Remove the top legs, a bit of grunting to get it leaning slightly backwards, and then you remove the bottom legs. To set it up, do the reverse. Two ratchet straps are used to hold everything tight after it is packed up. Our trolley is designed for 10 pieces of 1.2x2.4m, 5 a side, with one of the edges having a box for legs... Basically, you let the legs of the steel deck act as a fulcrum where-ever possible

Sounds cool - any chance of a photo?

Instead of doing a full flip, we have a dolly manufactured which is like an upside down T. The bottom slopes in towards the center. It is a rather large trolley with rather large castors, as well as holes for forks. Packing down, you place the trolley about the length of the legs off to the side of the steel deck, and tip it onto the trolley. Remove the top legs, a bit of grunting to get it leaning slightly backwards, and then you remove the bottom legs. To set it up, do the reverse. Two ratchet straps are used to hold everything tight after it is packed up. Our trolley is designed for 10 pieces of 1.2x2.4m, 5 a side, with one of the edges having a box for legs... Basically, you let the legs of the steel deck act as a fulcrum where-ever possible

-Have you considered reducing the weight of the decking? Steeldeck remains the deck of choice for me despite being flipping heavy - it's commonality, strength, durability and ease of modification make it a very practical stage choice.

Have you ever considered Litedeck?

Yes, I've used it elsewhere before (tho SteelDeck tends to dominate in London theatre still, I found) - Litedeck is definitely a good product and I wouldn't want to dismiss what is clearly a good suggestion - but for the moment Steeldeck is my reality and has to be handled.

Our SteelDeck stock is 20 8x4, several 8x5, 6x4, 8x2 and 4x4 so replacing the stock would not be an easy call to make for our budget.

Again, the thread is really about how to mechanically handle steeldeck and the like...

9SC

Have you ever considered Litedeck?

Reducing the need for manual handling of heavy and bulky things like Steeldeck has few options if one rules out forklifts.

Mac's trolley, of which I have seen a few, is good for flat level areas but still has a need for reasonably fit and strong individuals to use safely. Pallet trucks are awkward as they rely on wheeled access below the load. Casters have their limitations as previously discussed.

I am unsure of exactly what the precise nature of the problem or hypothesis is, don't know whether you have carried out a T.I.L.E. assessment or used the MAC tool or what MH training your staff have had. If replacement with lighter decking is ruled out by budgetary considerations the temptation is to say; "What's the problem?" Steeldeck's own US website proudly states that after 120 years they have come up with a pallet truck and a "roller skate" device

( http://steeldeck.com/assets/dl/steeldeck_handling.pdf ) To quote them directly:

DESCRIPTION:

Human Being. Essential for setting up Steeldeck® platforms.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Two of these can set up a 20' x 40' stage in one hour. Dangerous if unfed more than four hours.

CARRYING WEIGHT* LOAD CAPACITY*

150-350 lbs. 150 lb. carrying (self-propelled) 2500 lb. load on casters

RELATED ACCESSORIES:

Wrenches

Fast Cars

Beer

*Depends on individual unit

Archived