War Horse...

Ynot

Well, other than a couple of mentions here on the BR, I'd not heard of War Horse...

However, after a colleague at our venue raved about it some weeks ago, I happened on a link this evening to a short teaser video. I must say that I'm actually quite fascinated with the horses' puppets shown there. This just proves what technical marvels can be achieved with just a little imagination and bags of talented puppeteers...

I personally love this type of theatre, where inanimate props are brought to life by the actors and technicians.

The puppets in Avenue Q for example work so well that far from being distracted from their human 'operators' your enjoyment is doubled by watching both 'act' at the same time.

The Lion King, with the various animals portrayed by the cast is another that excels in this area, and in a similar way, the short-lived Children of Eden in the mid 90s had loads of fascinating animal-actors, all of whom studied the movement and behaviour of their alter-egos before bringing them to stage.

War Horse appears to be one from this stable (pun intended!) and from the clips above, the horse operators look to have again captured the bare essence of the equine stars. This is certainly one I'll be looking to get to see if I can...

Anyone any comments who's already watched the play?

I jumped up and down and shouted until we took all the students to see War Horse last year. Even the mega musical lovers liked and appreciated it, if you can go do go.

There are bits of the making of online where they talk about the task of working out how to make a full size horse puppet + human actor on top work as one.

I will be intrested to see the film when it comes out I hear filming is over.

I'd be interested to hear how well it has transferred to the New Theatre - I saw it in the Olivier and really loved it, but the New is a fair bit smaller and I assume lacking in the split drum revolve (I believe the drum revolve in the New Theatre is no longer operational).

Has anyone seen it in both venues?

Its a brilliant, emotional show - having seen it at the National.

Id love to see it again, but not at the New theatre following the news release as listed above. IF any of those crew who were involved are on here, I hang my head in shame.

I was just flipping through the Christmas edition of Radio Times and noticed that More 4 has a documentary called "Making War Horse" on Saturday 18th December at 19:55.
It's been shown before, but if you've not seen it, the documentary is also well worth a look.

Archived