LED Uplighting

woody01

Hey,

Does anyone know of a product that can link power for led par cans around the room rather than using a number of leads back and forth?

Such as par can 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc....

Thanks!

Depends on what power connections you have on them. Plenty of suggestions will come once we know.

If you are running LED cans with 13A plugs, all you really need is a set of 2 gang extension cables. Run one from your supply to the first can, and there you can plug in the first can and the extension to the second one, etc. If you need to run DMX too then you can get combined power and data cables but they come at a price.

If you are running LED cans with 13A plugs, all you really need is a set of 2 gang extension cables. Run one from your supply to the first can, and there you can plug in the first can and the extension to the second one, etc. If you need to run DMX too then you can get combined power and data cables but they come at a price.

How many would I be able to link though from 1 plug?

It depends on the power draw of each can.

Mine draw 20w each max, so I can power approx 150 ((230v*13a)/20w = 149.5) from a single 13a socket. Bearing in mind that you can't link more than 32 fixtures on a single DMX run, I'm not sure why I'd want to do that.

Josh

Just a quick one, have you ever considered cable tieing the adapter to the can or haven't you found loosing them to be a problem?

I try to avoid big lumps on the end of cables; they always seem to get snagged on anything and everything. I might have lost a couple but anyone who works with me knows not to lose them or else...

Mine draw 20w each max, so I can power approx 150 ((230v*13a)/20w = 149.5) from a single 13a socket. Bearing in mind that you can't link more than 32 fixtures on a single DMX run, I'm not sure why I'd want to do that.

Just a small point, but if you're using IEC connectors as you say you are, you've only safely got 10A available, assuming they're all on the same line daisy-chained as the OP suggested.

Nevertheless, an awful lot of cans per 13A line!

We have a load of Slimline par 64s

http://www.sfxdistribution.co.uk/products/slenderled-RGB.php

they have a iec out as well as an in, and we have them cased in 6S with a load of 5m cables with both XLR 3 M-f and Iec - iec. Its a neat setup especically as you can set the first as a master and the rest as slaves and set colour or a simple colour chase on the master and they all respond. They are nothing particulary special, just convenient and at the price no complaints...

We should point out that we sell the things too, as do many others, your local disco shop will probably get them in if required...

These 16a IEC60309 are ideal for daisy chaining LED uplighters:

http://www.lewden.com/lewden/newproducts/Tlinerewirable.htm

Whilst 10a IEC60320 connectors are OK for indoor use, they will not suitable when you want to use your uplighters in a marquee, where it is common to place the spare cable and connectors between the inner and outer linings of the tent, or under the edge of the coconut matting, as they do not afford suitable ingress protection.

The other problem with standard 10a IEC60320 connectors is they easily pull apart.

Archived