Robin Hood -Archery Contest

AndyLoudon

Hi folks.

Looking into panto props again! Currently, I'm working on a prop for the archery contest in a Robin Hood based panto. Basically, its a big target that has three concealed, spring loaded arrows on its face. With some misdirection from the cast, the arrows are released and spring up into place (with appropriate sound effects...)

The issue is how to release the arrows. My first thought was electromagnets to hold and then release the arrows. It would be a nice clean release, but would need powered all the time to stop the arrows popping up.

My second idea was some sort of manually operated mechanical release. I think this would be more reliable, and removes the need to run cable(s) across the deck. I guess either a well trained cast member of concealed crew member could operate this.

So the mechanical release is my preferred method, but I'm just wondering how others might have done this in the past, and if they can give any pointers on what works or doesn't work.

I'm off to get the Lego out to see if I can get my head around a release mechanism!

My first thought was electromagnets to hold and then release the arrows. It would be a nice clean release, but would need powered all the time to stop the arrows popping up.

Notwithstanding the good advice already posted, just to note that electromagnet releases come in two flavours - those which require current to hold (e.g. fire doors) and those which require current to release (e.g. kabuki drops).

Some example products here.

Proscenium have a full sized archery target with this already built in as I recall - we're doing RH in January and they offered this when I booked our cloths (however our archery gag is an acted option with 'invisible' arrows and SFX...)

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like the electromagnets are out completely thanks to the budget being in the tens of pounds rather than hundreds :D so I'm going to go with a pin that gets pulled out for the release mechanism. The arrows will need reloaded, but after re-reading the script, that can be done offstage now.

I guess I could stick some pics up once I get the thing built...

• 4 years later...

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like the electromagnets are out completely thanks to the budget being in the tens of pounds rather than hundreds :D so I'm going to go with a pin that gets pulled out for the release mechanism. The arrows will need reloaded, but after re-reading the script, that can be done offstage now.

I guess I could stick some pics up once I get the thing built...

Hello Andy

Did you manage to do the trick with the arrows? I am facing the same problem for the Robin Hood at the moment and chasing a few different options, I wondered how you fared?

Jane Mackintosh

Archived