X Factor

Kingstech

Nothing show specific, but its shot at Fountain studios and there is info about the actual studio on their website (Studio A+B). The studio plans appear to 404 at the moment however.

http://www.ftv.co.uk/largeStudio/default.aspx

Edit:

The video at the top of that page appears to be the load in for X Factor too - not sure if that's this year or a previous one (haven't been watching this year).

Did they just keep the set and staging in the studio built between the last series and this, or was it stored away?

It all looks EXACTLY the same as if they haven't even moved a cable!

Whilst Im sure you don't actually give a flying fig Jamtastic3, the answer to that question is a definite and resounding "NO". If X Factor had not loaded out then you wouldn't have had the joy of this years "Britain's Got Talent"..........

Did they just keep the set and staging in the studio built between the last series and this, or was it stored away?

It all looks EXACTLY the same as if they haven't even moved a cable!

Whilst Im sure you don't actually give a flying fig Jamtastic3, the answer to that question is a definite and resounding "NO". If X Factor had not loaded out then you wouldn't have had the joy of this years "Britain's Got Talent"..........

Anyone else wish they hadn't loaded out?

Moderation: I've moved the topic to a more appropriate area.

I can understand people just starting out being interested - but the snag with proper plans is that the owners rarely publish them. It's not quite the Magic Circle, but why not contact the LD from the show credits and ask, they may have one they're willing to send to a keen beginner. To be honest, I wouldn't want to hold my breath. I've worked with a few LDs who number their plans and collect them back up again!

I know for most of you experts out there in the industry you may find the rig list boring... but as a newish op and designer I would like to see what equipment is being used in these big shows... and where abouts they are in the rig... All I want to know is what is being used and where or a rough idea of it.

Well, with respect to your keenness to learn, what THEY have in their rig is in many ways academic.

Within certain parameters, wagglies pretty much all do the same basic things - and the way they're used on the X Factor suggests to me that only the basic functions are used as a rule. *

The majority of the design tends to be open beams with colours to suit both the mood and the VT on the back screens (which if I'm honest tends to take the lead in the 'looks'). Occasionally gobos will appear in some of the beams, the wagglies will move and strobe and change focus and maybe zoom in/out at times.

That's pretty much it. OK - there'll be more to it than just that, BUT there's little else happens with most of the kit - just variations on that theme. And just about every mid to large sized mover, be it a Martin, a Clay Paky, a Robe or a VL will do all of the above.

So can someone who's so interested in these kit lists please tell me precisely why it's SO interesting to know what they've used??? Please - I'm curious...

And how, precisely, will it affect your own lighting decisions in the future?

As I've said twice now, if there is a particular effect you liked, or thought "Wow" I wonder how THAT look was achieved" then that's different - most of the experienced heads here could likely give you a good idea. But that is HOW the kit is used, not WHAT it is...

* That's not intended in any way to be a slight against the XF LD, but I understand that simple is often best especially when you have (eg) 16 competitor numbers plus 2 guest artistes plus in-between states plus, plus, plus to do all in the space of a week, every week.

Moderation: 15 posts here have been removed. We are in the Next Gen section where people should be free to investigate any area of our industry. All the removed posts either hated kit lists, or saw no issue with them. None of these posts progress the topic, and if people wish to debate the usefulness or point of kit lists, then please do it in a separate topic - this happened in another topic today, and discussion about the subject was done elsewhere. Please - somebody did mention that if any member doesn't like the posts here, they're free to ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ynot:

Even from an experienced professionals point of view, I always like a good look at someone elses plots. Frequently I'll find a method of annotating, or of laying out certain aspects of the rig that might not have occurred to me, and so it's always interesting. Often I'll look at something and wonder why they did something a certain way. But then you can never really critique another LD's rig based on a plot.

Having said that, I think that many of us could probably guess at how effect X, Y, and Z would have been achieved based on the pictures on the screen, but it can always be nice to confirm your thoughts with a glance at the plot.

For the up and comers, I've always thought that it would be important to get them looking at and understanding the myriad of techniques for presenting a lighting plan, be it to Crew, Client, or anyone else, and so surely it must be a good thing to see that someone has the motivation to get themselves out there and ask if they can see the plot?

Just my $0.02 though...

Cheers

Smiffy

Archived