Do I move all over to Ch38?

mrg198

We have a bunch of Sennheiser 300G2 and 100 G1 systems and are eligible for the compensation funding. My dilemma though is that occasionally we do jobs in Europe and many countries allow the 863-865MHz licence free. If I claim for all our equipment in the compensation scheme and buy ch.38 stuff - is there an equivalent range available which we can use in other European countries or should we keep back some Ch.70 kit for this use?

What do others think about this?

Michael

I was chatting to someone at the Shure stand at PLASA last month. They mentioned that there are still problems with channel 38 in some parts of the UK due to the band not yet fully freed up. I think some parts of Manchester might have problems.

I was chatting to someone at the Shure stand at PLASA last month. They mentioned that there are still problems with channel 38 in some parts of the UK due to the band not yet fully freed up. I think some parts of Manchester might have problems.

Channel 38 is not available in South Manchester due to the Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope and in Cambridge, again due to radio astronomy. There may be some other areas but those are the two main ones.

I believe the date for full availability has been brought forward though possible to October(?) 2011 rather than January 2012.

I'm unsure about regulations around the EU, it sounds like something you'd have to investigate on a country by country basis. However Sennheiser or another company which sells mics across the EU may be able to help you with where to find information.

For EU touring purposes you should talk with your favoured mic maker and determine the frequencies available in each likely country for licensed and deregulated use. Owning the capsules and renting the body packs on a country by country basis may be necessary, along with hiring hand helds.

I've done exactly this - I'm keeping a few bits and pieces that are on 70 - a couple of Sennheiser TX packs and battery receivers I use on cameras, plus an IEM system - but the rest is going in the March next year batch as I'll get a little extra. Plans at the moment are to replace just a few systems, and then see what I actually need, rather than do a like for like. Looking back at the list of what I'm handing back, some of it doesn't actually justify replacing.

I've done exactly this - I'm keeping a few bits and pieces that are on 70 - a couple of Sennheiser TX packs and battery receivers I use on cameras, plus an IEM system - but the rest is going in the March next year batch as I'll get a little extra. Plans at the moment are to replace just a few systems, and then see what I actually need, rather than do a like for like. Looking back at the list of what I'm handing back, some of it doesn't actually justify replacing.

or use a system that will work just about anywhere

http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/...l-wireless-micr

or use a system that will work just about anywhere

http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/...l-wireless-micr

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say we are hoping this system will be shipping just after xmas

• 5 months later...

I would be very surprised if 2.4GHz systems where reliable where ever there are a large number of people. I regularly set-up wireless networks for Exhibitions around Europe. Generally the systems will work on 2.4GHz on the buildup days but once the exhibition is open the service just collapse.

Most smart phones have WiFi turned on and are constantly searching for a new network. When 100s of people try and do this in a small area the network just cannot cope.

We now use the 5GHz band to wireless networking.

Although this experience is with networking we all have to share the same band so interfere will be a problem. The great thing about data is that it will keep trying to get the data through until it does. The same cannot be said of speech or video where an error is noticed straight away.

Coming back to wireless audio do people think that channel 38 will get congested as it seems that every is moving to this one area? In the past system could use 69 or 70 but now you need to choose a system to use 32 or 70.

I have just taken delivery of the first batch of our new ch38 kit - and have gone with the tried an tested sennheiser G3 EW500 system. So far, so good, and it seems that all the legally available bandwidth on this system seems to be interference free ( at the moment) in rural Bedfordshire. just 6 channels so far, with more to follow as funds allow in a couple of months.

For the work I do, the move down to ch38 is actually welcome in one department. I do a lot of work where I need a lot of range - 2-300m sometimes, doing outdoor public address work. Ch69 kit would work with suitable antennas ( we used trantec s5000), but the lower frequencies now in use should improve propagation by a small degree, with more usable range as a result.

The one thing that strikes me about Channel 38 is how many new users will bother paying for a licence? There was no apparent incentive (apart from the threat of prosecution - that rarely ever took place) to purchase a licence for 69. Many users were simply unaware as they switched their shiny new radio on for the first time, and found it either worked out of the box (on 854.900MHz!) or the receiver automatically found a "clear frequency"...

I think we're slightly better off in that regard now. The old systems could operate in both a licensed slice of spectrum and in the deregulated part. A user could quite legitimately buy one and use it in ch.70 without worrying.

There's no such excuse with the ch.38 kit now. It would be nice to think that the manufacturers would put something in the box to inform users of that fact; I think there were a lot of genuinely confused users out there who just didn't realise that their old kit could stray in to licensed territory. I wonder if retailers are keeping track of purchaser's addresses - they are, after all, selling something that by law you need a licence to use...

Archived