Electrical course

Hi all

I'm considering doing an electrical course to help me further my career, with the view of possibly going into the west end or on a big tour as a member of the lighting department. At the moment my contacts are still limited, so I'm not sure if doing a course will help me get there. Also, if it is a good option, I’m not sure which electrical course would help me the most? Any advice is greatly appreciated :stagecrew:

Neil

A fully certificated approved electrician with full awareness of current edition regs including generators, with all the papers to sign off installations will be a great help if that's the route/career you want to take. Distance learning will let you do the work in your days off

As far as I'm aware, a fully qualified electrician would typically follow this path:

City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate In Electro technical Technology level 2

City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate In Electro technical Technology level 3

C&G 2382 Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations

C&G 2377 Level 3 Certificate for the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers (if you need this)

C&G 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification.

You also need your practical competence assessed (NVQ level 3).

That's quite a bit of study, and it doesn't necessarily cover temporary power for entertainment purposes...

Simon

I'm trying to become an electrician, and virtually nowhere now offers the 2330 L2, because the qualification is about to change and if you did complete it L3 wouldn't be available afterwards. As I understand it, 2330 is to be replaced by 2357 before Christmas, which you have to do whilst working in the electrical business. :stagecrew: :wall: :tearshair: :tantrum:

you don't need

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers

(often called a 5-day wonder) unless you want to work in domestic dwellings and want to join a part-P Competent Persons Scheme (which you cannot as an individual anyway, only as a trading entity) , and you don't need it anyway if you have the others - you just pay NICEIC et al more money.

Archived