Hoisting someone Up

sam.henderson

Hi Guys,

I am going to be working on a show in a small studio type space (capacity aprox 250). We want to hoist a cage up with 2 people in it. We have some hugely experianced builder/ carpenter type people and an amazingly talented director but I dont know how it will work.

What will we need to do this safely and to conform with H & S. Unfortunetly budget will not alow us to get the pros in (but if there is not a safe way of doing it we wont- so dont worry)

Sam

PS- The venue has no flying facilities at present.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RSAMD has a show in right now where there using a "loadstar chain hoist" to lift and lower a cage with an actor in and out which sounds like what you want to do! This show is in the studio space...I will ask the TSM for the show what there plan is if they dont see this first they might post.

Hi there, I am one of the TASMs on the aforementioned show. What we ahve basically done is put a beam clamp around the I Beam in the roof, then attached the Lodestar motor up, and hung a steel cage from it. The steel cage is rock solid - from 50mmx50mm steel, with a large clip on the top. The whole thing is welded and then decorated. It seems to be working a treat - tech next week. I think there are two things our TSM was especially cautious of:

1. The Point Load on the I Beam,

2. The Integrity of the Cage.

Both were looked into fully before we got anywhere near construction, let alone putting it in the air.

If you need more info, PM me and I will put you in touch with her,

James

Lodestars- If it's new then it'll be quieter than an old one. I think you'd know if it was to move during a show peice in a studio. Plus there's the clunk as they stop with the brake locking in (twice if it's a double breaked version). Lodestars move at between 8' and 64' per minute. You'll more than likely need a 3 phase supply, but there are single phase versions around I believe.

Also lifting people comes under a whole different set of inspection regimes with respect to Loler. Check Chris Higgs books out for the details.

Hi Sam,

to be quite honest you should get a pro to do it. If you are unfamiliar with the sound of a hoist you surely shouldnt be attempting to use one to lift personel in it.

Sorry but get someone who knows and has done it before to do it for you.

Oh Lordy

Its like you read my mind Oh loardy, Having just had a look at some other topics on here and done some web research I was just about to come back and say that I am not confident to rig it or use it myself. I think we will probably get Stage Electrics in to rig it.

However we still need to make the cage- so any ideas for that would be great.

Thanks

Sam

I was just about to come back and say that I am not confident to rig it or use it myself. I think we will probably get Stage Electrics in to rig it.

I don't understand if you are not confident in the rigging of a single hoist then how you could be confident in the design and construction of a cage, which will have to be fairly strong to take being raised from a single load point.

Because I wont be making it or designing it properly just gathering ideas to pass on to the people who will be making it. I am just trying to get an idea for what we can do, I can assure you all that I would never attempt something like building the cage myself if I did not believe that I had the right qualifications and knowledge. not becuase it would controvine with HSE guidelines or for anything else other than the fact that I could not live with the fact that I had killed someone!!!

Sam

Archived