What Digital Desk

livesoundproduction

So,

I have been hiring & using a Roland M400 or LS9 / M7 on a regular basis for live music jobs and have decided to make the great leap and invest in a digital desk with accompanying stage-boxes over cat5.

While I really like the simplicity of the M400, I preffer the M7, but have been looking at the likes of the Digico SD9 and Soundcraft vi series. Then there's the A&H I-Live.....

I am pretty certain that there are die-hard fans of each variety, but seriously, which would be the best to go for with long -- term adaptability. I am touring the rig in medium (350 - 800) sized venues and want the best possible platform.....Recomendations?

Cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so by the look of it you know kinda what range of desks you would like to use if you look over this forum you will find lots of discussions like this... My advice would be if you like the M7 and you know how to use it look at the new M7CL-48ES. they have removed the inputs bar 8 on the back of the desk (I think). my personal preference would be with the SD9 or even the Digidesign Profile. having recently looked over the Ilive series they have the advantage that the brain is in the mix rack not in the desk which means you can choose any of there control surfaces.

I would also consider how much you want to spend I believe list price for the m400 is around 8k, M7CL is around 16k.

HTH

sam

ok so by the look of it you know kinda what range of desks you would like to use if you look over this forum you will find lots of discussions like this... My advice would be if you like the M7 and you know how to use it look at the new M7CL-48ES. they have removed the inputs bar 8 on the back of the desk (I think). my personal preference would be with the SD9 or even the Digidesign Profile. having recently looked over the Ilive series they have the advantage that the brain is in the mix rack not in the desk which means you can choose any of there control surfaces.

I would also consider how much you want to spend I believe list price for the m400 is around 8k, M7CL is around 16k.

HTH

sam

Thanks for getting back...

I really like the performance features of the SD9, but need to road test it. Problem is I dont know anyone with one in hire stock (perhaps you do?). With the cost of the M7 new, I was hoping to aquire a second hand one and most likely the older model.

Cost is an issue as my primary upgrade is on th FOH side with a new L'Acoustics ARCS system with SB28 bottom end, but at the same time I dont want to invest in top grade cabs and fall down on the desk side.

At the end of the day, it may just have to be the M7

Not sure if its been mentioned as I can't be bothered to read any more! (currently reading Bryson's long Cruise Blog) - you may want to invest in a console that is popular to dry hire customers. There's no point in buying an I-Live if customers want a M7 to hire.

Not sure if its been mentioned as I can't be bothered to read any more! (currently reading Bryson's long Cruise Blog) - you may want to invest in a console that is popular to dry hire customers. There's no point in buying an I-Live if customers want a M7 to hire.

True...So True...

This would be in my personal stock, for bands that I engineer...I am not going to purchase a handsome desk and let some dry-hire type get his beer stained fingers on it....(without prior approval of course).

Looking at the second hand stage equipment website which has an I-Live console in good nick. I do like the apparance and the offline editor is really easey to get around...

The LS9/M7CL both can have hissy head amps, the m7 isnt anywere near as bad as the ls9, if your going to use a digi multicore, I dont see why you'd want to pay for the m7 with headamps in the desk, and then go and replace them with headamps on a digital stagebox/multi, unless you would use the m7 without digi multi.

A setup I have used on a few occasions was an analouge stagebox with split feeding

- M7CL-48 (with headamps) for monitors,

- 3 x SB168-ES to M7CL-48ES for foh. This works fairly easy as you just leave the ethersound desk and stageboxes in auto-setup.

Iv also experimented in using wireless between the stagebox and desk as a backup to using two cables. (Wouldnt trust wireless for the gig) you can see here why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFiJ5rnIPVw

I would recommend the iLive over the Yamaha and Roland ( I put my money where my mouth is!) Main reason was dsp and flexibilty over either of those, and A H support is brilliant. I haven't had any complaints from visiting engineers who either know the desk or with a very quick "do this" do that" have just got on and used the desk.

I am also impressed with the way the system is improving, or should that be getting easior to use, as a direct response to customer input on the ilive forum.

The LS9/M7CL both can have hissy head amps, the m7 isnt anywere near as bad as the ls9,

I would recommend the iLive over the Yamaha and Roland ( I put my money where my mouth is!) Main reason was dsp and flexibilty over either of those, and A H support is brilliant.

I have to Agree with dwright2104 in respect to the head amps being very hissy. I can also agree with doug regarding the fact that the Ilive system was the DSP and the flexibility. My advice to do with the SD9 would be contact the guys from Digico and see if you can pop down and take a test drive with the SD9. The guy is around here on the forum somewhere and normally seems very happy to help me when I wanted to go take a nosey....

HTH

sam

Thanks for the input guys! I Will definitely look into popping down to Digico if at all possible for a little play time.

As for hissy head amps, I have noticed substantially less with the M7 over the LS9.

looking at the I-Live, on paper it will fulfill my flexibility requirements.

Alas, I have changed my mind so much over the last few hours! Thanks again for your input, it has been invaluable!

although the yahmahas can have hissy headamps, they cant be beaten on reliability, and robustness.

Well to my knowledge m7s and ls9s are the only digital offerings that seem to require new faders on a regular basis after they fail to calibrate hardly reliable or robust.

Charlie

Well to my knowledge m7s and ls9s are the only digital offerings that seem to require new faders on a regular basis after they fail to calibrate hardly reliable or robust.

Charlie

Only if they get moisture in them.

Iv used the digidesign before and during the gig, it crashed. parts of the desk still worked but the majority of the desk just wouldnt work.

Let us know how you get on with the desks and what you choose in the end :rolleyes:

I have received a PM from a chap who has SD9'd in hire stock, will road test one in November... It is far away but the best informed decisions and all that......

Will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Archived