What Digital Desk

livesoundproduction

If I was having a desk for me to use personally and that I was paying for, there's no way I'd buy an M7. Despite the lack of touchscreen, I think the LS9 has a better interface. Even if you don't agree, then it's pretty difficult to justify paying twice as much money for the M7 which has more or less the same features (although it's less powerful) and is bigger.

I think the LS9 has about the worst UI of any digital console I have used, and would much rather use an M7.

Well everyone's entitled an opinion! Personally I hate the M7. Its default home screen winds me up with its uselessness. And it seems needlessly expensive compared to the LS9. Less so now that the LS9 has got more expensive. You used to be able to buy 3 LS9s for 1 M7.

I preffer the M7 to the LS9, and the M400 over both. I would venture to say that if the M400 didnt look so naff and had a larger touch screen display I would be happy to cough up.... I think the vi1 has it!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that, of all the digital desks I've used, the Vi series (it was the Vi6 that I tried) has my favourite combination of user interface and sound quality. The UI just felt "natural" to me and I was mixing without having to think about it after a very few minutes.

Unfortunately, back when it first came out, the software simply wasn't stable enough to be reliable in a live situation. Even at the day's training I had at Soundcraft, the desk we were using had a couple of unexplained crashes.

I'm sure this has long since been cured (my experience was a good many years ago when the Vi6 first came out) but I wonder if this reputation is part of the reason the Vi series was slow to take off.

The OP in this thread is in the unusual but fortunate position of being able to buy the desk he likes without having to worry about riders or the availability of experienced users. In this case, I think I'd very seriously be considering the Vi.

Bob

I must admit that, of all the digital desks I've used, the Vi series (it was the Vi6 that I tried) has my favourite combination of user interface and sound quality. The UI just felt "natural" to me and I was mixing without having to think about it after a very few minutes.

Unfortunately, back when it first came out, the software simply wasn't stable enough to be reliable in a live situation. Even at the day's training I had at Soundcraft, the desk we were using had a couple of unexplained crashes.

I'm sure this has long since been cured (my experience was a good many years ago when the Vi6 first came out) but I wonder if this reputation is part of the reason the Vi series was slow to take off.

The OP in this thread is in the unusual but fortunate position of being able to buy the desk he likes without having to worry about riders or the availability of experienced users. In this case, I think I'd very seriously be considering the Vi.

Bob

Y'know Bob, I am really liking the Vi1. The interface does seem natural and as I mentioned in previous posts, the option of a standalone desk that does not necessarily require bespoke cat5 multicore distribution is a plus. I really think that the Vi1 is going to be the desk for me... That said, if the SD9 had this sort of functionality, there would be no competition...

Archived