Making A new Multicore

Mike Courtney

From tonights experience, I can honestly say putting the pins into a VDC connector is a right b*tch. I haven't bothered to get the insertion tool as I'm only making one up. If you have tough finger nails, go for it.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I recently had to sort out a pair of the van-damme connectors in-situ on one of our installations. This particular pair had been soldered so I just re-soldered all the wires back in (the connector had been pulled so hard that they'd ripped the socket out the wall, and snapped all but two of the wires going into it on both the socket an plug). After looking about online (and reading this thread) I'm assuming that the pins I soldered to are actually crimp ones as I can't find any solder pins out there.

Does anyone else out there solder these connectors? and if not, is there a reason that they shouldn't be soldered?

...is there a reason that they shouldn't be soldered?

The usual reason for crimping instead of soldering is that crimp connectors are more reliable when the terminations are subjected to flexing. This is why crimping is normal in the aerospace industry and for other life-critical systems. However this is only the case when they are properly crimped using the correct pressure and the appropriate tooling.

Like anything associated with high-reliability systems, crimp tooling is extremely expensive to buy. This is only cost effective if you are making the cables in production quantities, but the tooling can usually be hired (though it's still not cheap) for one-offs or short production runs.

You can solder multicore connectors but the reliability depends on how good your technique is. Solder tends to wick up the end of a stranded core wire, effectively converting it into a solid core which will break easily. This is the reason it's not as reliable as a crimp. If you use the correct size of Hellerman Sleeving (or whatever it's called these days) on each pin to strain relieve the termination, AND the cable breakout has sufficient slack, AND the cable entry is properly clamped and the clamping screws locked with Screwlock, you can get a reliable connector. It probably still won't be as reliable as a properly crimped one but if, and only if, done by an expert it is likely to last for many years.

It all depends on your budget and the risks and costs associated with failure - in other words, what level of reliability your Boss is willing to pay for.

...is there a reason that they shouldn't be soldered?

It all depends on your budget and the risks and costs associated with failure - in other words, what level of reliability your Boss is willing to pay for.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there :)

It's the only connector like this that we've got and it so they probably decided against paying out for the crimp tool as well. Not sure why they haven't been used elsewhere as they would be very useful for our systems at work but that's probably down to cost too.

I'm fairly confident with soldering (lots of practise on strain gauges), but seeing as canford hire out their crimp tool, I'll probably go down that route when I make my own

Cheers for your help!

+1 for what Paul just said.

In the past I've soldered big multi-pin connectors so it CAN be done--but that experience scarred me for life and I'll move heaven, earth and overdraft to have the proper crimp tool.

Bob

• 2 years later...
I've just being looking at the multipin (harting style) breakouts that Thomann sell, eg http://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_mts_248msa_mischpultsplitt.htm 24/8 tails with a 64 pin connector. I'd have expected a 32 way cable to be on a 108 pin connector; all thomann's products must have the grounds commoned. Is this usual practise with that sort of multipin? (or any other multipin for that matter?)

I purchased an extra multicore once with harting connectors on it (what we use) Great I thought. It's 100m and has splits and is on 108 pin harting. all being well that'll mate up with what we currently have. The gender and "flaps" mated...but whoever had made it had done common grounds, twisted them all togetther and spread it over about 6 pins. What a waste. So I ended up reterminating the entire thing.

Archived