Falling snow effect

partyadz

Hi all

Have a production coming up later in the year, and director is very keen to use some sort of falling snow effect.

We currently have one of the Antari machines, but it sounds like a jet plane when switched on, so not suitable for this, as it's during a very quiet song!

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are?

Width of proscenium arch is around 7m. Need to have something motorised/machine based, rather than stage hands throwing on bits of snow.

I noticed that Antari do a silenced version, at around £500, but ideally need two to get even coverage.

Has anyone had experience with the Packman snow machines? Although you don't have to worry about a slippy surface, does it look a bit rubbish if the small bits of paper snow fall in just one line?

I also came across http://www.snowboy.co.uk/SNOWboy_Stage_Whi..._snoweffect.php online. Anyone had any experience with these? Can't seem to find anyone that hires them.

Any advice much appreciated.

Adam

Well, this is another of those things we've covered several times here on the BR.

The cheapest (and most effective) and by FAR the quietest option is to build a snow-bag - two fly-bars with a short canvas between the two, with holes cut in the cloth allowing the paper snow to fall uniformly across the stage when one bar is raised/lowered.

Have a search here for details.

The alternative is a motorised version - I know Stage LX have them as I've used them before but are more expensive.

I used some of these machines on a show a couple of months ago. We hired from Viking Stage Lighting. They do fall in a straight line which is why they suggest you use several on different bars behnd each other.

The drums don't actually rotate, there are full length rotating brushes inside which pushes the paper/plastic out the holes. One thing to note is you can't run them out a dimmer and they don't have DMX built in. The output is varied by varying the size of the holes.

The SLX versions are DMX as I recall, though I wouldn't swear to it.

However, you don't need multiple lines of these - a single line acorss the stage is fine - probably best upstage, side lit, and it'll look fine.

We have XL Swirl Fans in our hire stock. which we use for paper snow drops.

They plug in to a dimmer so you can control the rate of the flow. They hold about 5kg and give a 360 degree effect.

We also have lots of snow in stock.

Google for more info!

Dan

Pyrojunkies Ltd

So is the general opinion to go for paper based falling rather than foam?

Provided you have an opportunity to sweep it up, yes. Cheaper, because you can re-use it (you may have to sift the crud out of it though - I always seem to end up with bobby pins in my snow sweepings!) and will cause fewer problems with slippage when it lands on the stage. We actually use potato flakes for small quantities of snow - bung it on a flat board and put a small fan on the board and you get beautifully realistic snow. It's really only good for small areas though - I wouldn't recommend it for a larger effect! The only thing with the potato flakes is that you have to make sure you sweep or vacuum REALLY well before you mop, otherwise you end up with mashed potato on your stage....(I only made that mistake once...)

Sieving snow and glitter are my personal retaliation method with errant members of the stage crew. "Can't we just buy some fresh?" No, sorry. Very childish, but it makes me feel lots better seeing somebody sitting there doing this for an hour or so. Had two snow boys last year, and like the Antari, they were damn loud.

Archived