To buy or not to buy?

rostraqueen

I have been offered a Behringer MX2004A Mixing Desk, plus a Casio CZ1000 Keyboard with hard case, Behringer B-1 Condenser Mic, Beyer Dynamic DT100 Headphones and some midi cables all for £120. They're used but seem to be in good condition. What do you think, especially of the mixing desk? Is this a worthwhile price and what would it/they be best used for/not good for?

I'd like some opinions! :P Thanks!

Personally - will you actually enjoy using them -do you play keys for recreation?

Business wise - can you get value for them in terms of hiring them out or using them yourself for money -do you play pub keys and sing for money? while still covering transport and other costs.

The CZ1000 is a pretty old (some may say 'vintage') synth. I still have the smaller brother to the 1000 (A CZ101) in my loft somewhere - I bought it along with a Roland JX3P back in 1980 something as a midi-controllable addition.

It's not a bad little synth for the money (As I recall the 1000 was just the full-sized key version of the 101) although the sounds could be a little harsh. But it was one of the early generation of mass produced budget digital synths, so could perhaps be excused for being a little lacking in tonal 'frills'.

But at the time it did what I wanted it to do and my kids enjoyed playing on it when they were younger.

That said, as long as everything on your list works and is in reasonable condition it sounds a bargain at £120 all in.

On the second hand market (search the Ebay "completed listings" site) each of the 4 items is worth 50-60 pounds. So, if you can be bothered with the potential ebay hassle, buy them, try them out, keep what you like, flog the rest.

I don't doubt the value of the items, jusr whether you will actually use them before your skills and needs pass them by.

The OP has made comments about having to do unpaid work to get experience, so do you have enough money coming in to juatify the cost of these.

That's a fair comment, but yes, I do also have a regular paid job and looking at my current financial situation, I could easily fit this cost into my budget, but I dont want to be ripped off, obviously!

Possibilities for use would be for recording with my sister who sings and plays piano (we have a fairly good keyboard already, so I probably would try and sell the casio that comes with the desk); also, renting the equipment and possibly also my services for operating them to local schools who seem to be keen on these kind of experiences for their students.

As it's late to ring him now, I've texted to check if its still available, but will ring the guy tomorrow. I'll probably ask him to demonstrate that it's all in good working order and go from there.

:P

I'm still open to advice and opinions though!

At that price you certainly are NOT being ripped off! As you have commercial and pleasure uses for the kit it sounds like a very good buy. The headphones should be good for pro use for years.

My concern was that students sometimes like to buy kit without much thought, spending precious money on something that they don't have a need for and that will cease to fulfil their needs as the next few weeks of the course procede.

Thanks guys :rolleyes: Picked up the lot for £100 yesterday. The desk is in mint condition, not even a scratch even though he's had it for 7 years! I have the original manuals, rack fixings and packaging too :nerd: The CZ100 came with hard case, midi cables and jack to mini-jack cables for connecting to speakers. Had some sticky stuff on the keys where he had stuck stickers on, but nothing that didnt come off with a bit of tea tree oil. Came with hard case and stand. Also got a different mic (not the original behringer one as he'd already sold that one), an XLR and the Beyer headphones. All work perfectly - pretty good deal overall! B-)

Archived