Roland M300

MarkPAman

• 2 weeks later...
Clicky

32 channel rack mountable desk

16 faders, 8 aux & 4 matrix.

Sort of cut down version of the M400 / M380

I wonder what it'll cost........

Very nice. They almost got it right. Instead of 8 Aux and 4 Matrix, I'd much rather have 12 auxes, or better yet 12 buses than can be groups or auxes (as on the LS9). And the remote via USB sucks - it should be Ethernet, so you don't need two computers (or an expensive wireless USB gadget).

Re: "And the remote via USB sucks - it should be Ethernet"

+1! USB has very limited cable length as well

there's always a possible option of using one of these types of adapter perhaps:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/N...4951010080.html

but there might be a 'supplied software' issue in recognizing the hardware link if it is coded only for a USB port - worth checking with the supplier before purchase

Mik

the usb to wireless 'n' type adaptor is £122.25 from cpc.

usb can be sent via cat5 for up to 60m with a £30 adaptor - cpc or others.

yes 2 x 1608 boxes will work. also the desk has a total of 12 ins - 4 of which are XLR - mic or line with phantom, and 4 on jack trs; and 4 phono for ipod / laptop etc. - also one 1608 can be used. or an 0808 will also work as a remote stagebox.

the reason for not having an ethernet port is to avoid 'confusion' as the REAC ports are ethercon - rugged ethernet.

the desk has 8 assignable outs - so with 1 x 1608 there are a total of 16 balanced outs.

the desk ins and outs can be used as inserts - on any channel or aux or out - assignable and save-able on a scene by scene basis.

having used the rcs software at 50m via usb to cat 5 it works with no problems.

if you feel the need to mix further from the stage , REAC to fibre optic convertors allow up to 2KM on each run. (latency still <2.6 ms).

oh and if your pc or laptop falls over / gets unplugged /dies ... the desk keeps running.

Alan.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

So the M300 lists at £4299 + vat..

I've just spent the last 2 hours playing with it and love it..

Gonna get it out on a few gigs next week..

We've got the 2 of the 1st units in the UK.. it's a great little board with a few more clever tweaks than the m400.

If anyone wants to come and see and play with one just get in touch...More Info and Video

Cheers

Matt

One funny thing struck me about this range;

The M400 is clearly the daddy of the range - nicely specified although a few people have commented on its' plasticy looks.

The M380 has the 48 channel count of the M400, BUT, it only has 12 input faders making anything other than small events a layer changing pain.

The M300 seems to obviously have been designed as the baby of the bunch, it has a reduced channel count of 32, BUT, it has 16 faders - far more useful.

I think they've got some of the features of the 380 and 300 mixed up. They both take up 19" rack width, so why doesn't the desk with the larger fader count have more inputs? The M380's fader numbers seem more suited to churches and corporate stuff, so surely it should have the lower channel count. The 300 however has the more useful 16 faders, so it's starting to move in on theatre territory and band work. Why has it got the lowest channel count then? If they just put the 380 guts inside the 300 case then I'd be extremely interested. You've then got an LS9-16 competitor.

Re: "And the remote via USB sucks - it should be Ethernet"

+1! USB has very limited cable length as well

there's always a possible option of using one of these types of adapter perhaps:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/N...4951010080.html

but there might be a 'supplied software' issue in recognizing the hardware link if it is coded only for a USB port - worth checking with the supplier before purchase

Mik

For anybody interested, I'm happy to confirm that this USB booster will work at 50m with the M380. ;)

Just a quick note from my playing with our stock...

The Matrix section is accesable from all channels just like M7CL. This means that it is a 12 Aux desk (pre or post).

The Matrix are "super aux" and can be spun into from the console busses also (Matrix).

All outputs have 8 band para EQ and time alignment (delay) without the need for adding or using FX.

The M300 is built on Roland's next generation DSP platform. Its technology is in advance of M400/M380....

However it is limited to 32 channels.

Its a piece of genius to be honest.

• 1 month later...
One funny thing struck me about this range;

The M400 is clearly the daddy of the range - nicely specified although a few people have commented on its' plasticy looks.

The M380 has the 48 channel count of the M400, BUT, it only has 12 input faders making anything other than small events a layer changing pain.

The M300 seems to obviously have been designed as the baby of the bunch, it has a reduced channel count of 32, BUT, it has 16 faders - far more useful.

I think they've got some of the features of the 380 and 300 mixed up. They both take up 19" rack width, so why doesn't the desk with the larger fader count have more inputs? The M380's fader numbers seem more suited to churches and corporate stuff, so surely it should have the lower channel count. The 300 however has the more useful 16 faders, so it's starting to move in on theatre territory and band work. Why has it got the lowest channel count then? If they just put the 380 guts inside the 300 case then I'd be extremely interested. You've then got an LS9-16 competitor.

Worth remembering the timescale here - Dont think you will find the M380 will last very long now. My guess it was an interim product post M400.

Archived