Best way to mic a double bass?

partyadz

Any advice on what you currently use/suggest, much appreciated!

Need to mic double bass, in small theatrical venue. Only other instrument being used is electric keys.

Look forward to your opinions.....

In most situations I'd look to having the bass properly fitted with a pickup. If it's your bass then you know your luthier well enough to ask advice of him. If it's someone elses bass then seek advice from their luthier. As a good bass costs the same as a medium car a bad bodge may not make you popular.

Typically a pickup would be fitted to the bridge and given a connector under the tailstock.

As ever the choice of pickup depends on the tonality required.

I'm mean, and mine doesn't have electricity involved. Orchestral players may have their instruments properly looked after, but most of the acoustic bass players I meet use a carpenter rather than a luthier! Wrapping a dynamic in foam, and popping in the bridge between the feet, with cable taped to the tail piece with leccy tape works as a bodge quick and functional fix where you need higher volume. If you don't need stacks of volume and can live with a little more distance, then I've been quite impressed with an AKG D112 on a short stand. Tried it once when it was there, ready for a kick drum, and it worked so well I used something else for the kick. It does need the player to be fairly static, distance wise. Success or failure often depends on playing technique. I personally don't use my right hand to slap much - but if it's a rockabilly band then you may be able to get a radio pack with omni lav mic in close. I didn't come up with this myself, but I did see one band using one of those single over-the-ear headset mics clipped to the bridge with the boom bent forwards towards the finger board. Very odd - but it seemed to sound ok - no idea how!

I tend to use a beta 98 if I'm allowed to clip on the bridge...I tend to aim towards sound hole if the instrument has its design in reach or at strings if it won't reach, if not a Mic on stand,pref audio d6 or beta 52....however a straight forward sm57 will still work if your limited on Mic choice.

Si

Ive experimented lately with different mic placement particularly on acoustic guitar. I have had some good results with a cardioid condensor mic placed slightly off axis to the finger board near the body.

I've yet to try it on a double bass though. May be worth a try.

The best double bass sound I've ever done was a DPA4099B with the purpose built mount on the bridge.

Nah, I don't own one either but if I had to mic a bass regularly I'd seriously consider one after using one several times in a theatre that happens to own one.

However, more regularly:

If GBF isn't a huge factor and the player doesn't move around too much, I like my ancient AKG D202 dynamic aimed between the strings and the "sound hole" or whatever you actually call it.

If GBF or movement IS an issue, I like an omni lav taped to the back of the neck so the capsule hangs about a centimeter below the end--I tend to use an MKE2 and it actually sounds really good.

Bob

Any advice on what you currently use/suggest, much appreciated!

Need to mic double bass, in small theatrical venue. Only other instrument being used is electric keys.

Look forward to your opinions.....

As has been mentioned, the classic method is to wrap a small mic in foam and put it in the bridge, pointing upwards. I have done this with cardioid and omni mics, usually dynamics, and it works OK.

For orchestral work the modern standard is a DPA4061 with the rubber mount that clips on the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. An MKE2 will also work OK.

You can sometimes use this "orchestral" method on a quartet, bass / keys duo, etc provided the loudspeaker system etc allows for sufficient GBF. However the omni mic will pick up anything loud on stage - I have tried this on jazz bands and it usually hears far too much of the drum kit so I end up using a mic on a small stand instead.

If the player doesn't move much, a mic on a stand works OK. Many people spec a mic with a good bass response for this, such an RE20, MD421, or Bobbsy's D202. Though I'm not keen on putting any of those in positions where they are likely to get knocked over. Choice of mic can also depend on how the sound of the bass is being used in the mix, so often an extended LF response is not necessary and any general purpose mic will work fine.

A pickup is usually the best solution (for non-orchestral work).

Lots of touring engineers Ive teched for have double miced and iv used the same method myself a few times.

1 for low end (d112, d6, d4, b52a, sm57 at a push) short stand, as previously mentioned.

2nd (probably on a tall stand) sm81 (c451 or similar should also do the job), at the finger board picking up more high end along with slapping, popping etc.

blend the two channels to suit the style being played.

If youve got a pickup that can be the low end channel and use a condenser if needed once youve heard the pick up.

sometimes you get ones with two independent pick ups (or pick up and in built mic), bridge and neck does the job of the two mics.

I've done double basses for quite a few folk and bluegrass bands and I just used to slap my DPA 4060 on it somewhere (I find the 4060 sounds just fine on very nearly any instrument!)! In my opinion mount it just over the sound hole.

But then the 4060 broke and there is noway I can afford a new one! :** laughs out loud **:

One really cheap way of doing it (hence doesn't sound very good) is to buy a piezo pickup (roughly 10p) and just tape it to the body of the bass!! I've seen it done and in the place this guy had it, it didn't sound overly bad either.

I would advise against "just taping" to any instrument. If the instrument is in any way valuable to the musician, they'll be coming after you...... You can get specific "goo" from people like AKG and Schertler (sp?) which is used on and with their pickups though, which is designed to not mark the finishes of expensive instruments.

Archived