Strand Patt 793 follow spot

boatman

We have a pair of Patt 793 followspots which have given sterling service for nearly 40 years! Unfortunately, when getting them out of storage for next week's musical, we found the front lens on one had split into several parts. I've emailed Jim Laws and RB lighting to see if either has a spare, but thought I would just ask on here if anyone has a suitable lens lying in a back cupboard somewhere and would like to negotiate a deal.

Lens are very generic. You only really need to know the physical diameter and the focal length to find a spare.

I can easily measure the diameter, but the focal length might be a bit more tricky. Is there a formula for calculating the focal length knowing the diameter and the thickness at the centre?

Since you've got 2 of them, measure the focal length of the surviving one.

You'll need a distant source - the big yellow thing in the sky is ideal.

hold the lens facing the sun, and move a board or piece of paper to focus the light to the smallest possible spot. You'll know you've found it when smoke appears.

The focal length is then the distance from the plane of the lens to the board.

It should even be possible to do the same thing with large fragments of the damaged lens.

Since you've got 2 of them, measure the focal length of the surviving one.

You'll need a distant source - the big yellow thing in the sky is ideal.

hold the lens facing the sun, and move a board or piece of paper to focus the light to the smallest possible spot. You'll know you've found it when smoke appears.

The focal length is then the distance from the plane of the lens to the board.

It should even be possible to do the same thing with large fragments of the damaged lens.

It looks as though Iain Dennis may have one but he needs to know the focal length as well, so it's time for the gardening gloves and some superglue and see if that works.

;) Hi, two suggestions for you.If the lens is the same diameter as a patt93n, then I have a spare lens.You could also try Bob Morgan of the enlighten iniatiative in Sheffield,we work very closely with Bob,so if you like I can see if he has got a spre lens as he has quite a selection of bits and bobs.Let me know, and I'll try my best to help.As an alternative, I have 2 converted 2k follow spots which I'm looking to swap for 2x patt 818 follows as the others are too heavy to lift since having spinal surgery.Let me know if I can help, keep it illuminated Roy.

:rolleyes: Hi, two suggestions for you.If the lens is the same diameter as a patt93n, then I have a spare lens.You could also try Bob Morgan of the enlighten iniatiative in Sheffield,we work very closely with Bob,so if you like I can see if he has got a spre lens as he has quite a selection of bits and bobs.Let me know, and I'll try my best to help.As an alternative, I have 2 converted 2k follow spots which I'm looking to swap for 2x patt 818 follows as the others are too heavy to lift since having spinal surgery.Let me know if I can help, keep it illuminated Roy.

Thanks for the offer Roy. I'll need to measure the lens, but it may be a few days before I can get to it. I'll send you a PM as soon as I have that information.

Archived