ACLs in Pairs...

Frag_Me

Hello all,

I'm working on a design which has asked for pairs of ACL lamps on poles outdoors, with about 15m between poles. A couple of people have said they are sure they've seen ACL (or at least, with the same very narrow property) lamps being used in pairs at mains voltage rather than in the usual 8 lamp arrangement.

The closest I could think of would be a couple of narrow 120V PAR lamps being used in series, but the best angle you could get would be closest to a CP60...

Needs to go outside so wanted to use a couple of cans instead of anything else really!

If anyone has come across these "pair" ACLs then I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

L

If your on about 2x 4 lamp bars of ACL paired together, Whitelight stock these. Theyr 110v per bar, linked together with 110 with a 110-240 jumper to plug into your mains/dimmer!?

I think at one time thomas did an ACL parcan with integral transformer so single ACL lamp could run of mains.

(or 2 on two poles)

Was good for large mirror ball effects

If not still available you could make up your own transformer box for this and use regular parcan with ACL lamp.

remember tho that ACL not rated for continuous use

(Thomas unit may have run ACL at 24v not the 28v allowing longer life but at reduced output.)

@JonT - Yes, I'm aware of the 2x4 bars but it's two lamps individually I've been told about.

@tlc - Hah, this is indeed for a large mirrorball effect. I didn't know that ACLs weren't rated for continuous use though - that may rather scupper the entire ACL idea given that this is for an install which will stay on for about 6 hours at a time! Thanks for those tips - may have to see what we can do with CP60s!

Cheers

L

I didn't know that ACLs weren't rated for continuous use though -

Think ACL rating is for 5 mins on and 5 mins off cycle (to prevent overheat)

though this may only apply to the 600 watt version (Q4559X) not the 250 watt version (4552) normally used in our industry

rated lifetime of the large Par 64 ACL type 4552 is only 50 hrs in any case

If you plan on 6 hrs at a time you will need new lamps after 4 uses.

ACL definitely only good for the short spot effect.

Product Specification

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Lamp type Sealed Beam - PAR

Bulb PAR64

Base Screw Terminals

Filament CC-8

Product Technology Incandescent

Wattage 250

Voltage 28

Rated Life 25 hrs

Primary Application Aircraft; Very Narrow Spot

PHOTOMETRIC CHARACTERISTICS

Beam Spread - Horizontal 7° - 10 %

Beam Spread - Vertical 8° - 10 %

Max. Beam Candlepower (MBCP) (MAX) 500000

DIMENSIONS

Maximum Overall Length (MOL) 3.7500 in (95.2 mm)

Bulb Diameter (DIA) 8.000 in (203.2 mm)

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Product Code 40576

Description 4552

ANSI Code 4552

Standard Package GTIN 10043168405765

UPC 043168405768

Also could do a cp60 with a 'raylight' reflector?!

raylight lamps are good for rock n roll chase type spot effects (flashing effects) as they repond fast.

However they are short lived

(being originally projector lamps)

the 500watt A1/244 and the 650 watt A1/233 both have a rated life of only 50 hrs ,

better than an ACL but only just.

For the use being discussed (6 hrs at a time outdoors) some kind of discharge spotlight (profile) would give both high brightness and long life.

There are a number of IP68 (Waterproof) units of this kind often used to light flags on poles (or church steeples from the ground)

Thorn lighting do an "OSQ" fixture available as both tungston and discharge with changeable lens (like source 4 par).

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/gb/en/produ...catalogue_f.htm

thorn catalogue see outdoor lighting section then surface mounted architectural

I got 4 of these off eBay a while back for a similar need.

You see them often for accent lighting in city centres, both with narrow and flood lens fitted.

Still in current catalogue

At the price you can afford to double to give a comparable light output which brings the added benefit of redundancy. And I don't place much faith in lamp life figures; I've got some PAR64s which are over 10 years old.

To the OP - is this a long term install? If so, you might want to look at something like the discharge version of the S4 for long lamp life (=low maintenance). IIRC there are a load on the way into Liverpool doing bridge illumination.

This is for a 5 night install, about 6 hours per night. Also on a bit of a budget, hence the PAR can leaning. Also it's probably got to be a hire rather than a buy for budget reasons so it's about what we can get as much as anything!

Raylights - I had seen these advertised but only ever saw "AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE" reviews... (such as onstagelighting.co.uk) so was put off! Also, as you said they don't have much more on the life than an ACL!

"In the fog is particularly good the jet to see" - Thomann site... I bet the good the jet is!

I will run a few of these suggestions past the LD... Might be time to call the big hire companies and see what the beefiest pinspots they have that I can use outdoors! Or, as suggested, something discharge based in a waterproof format...

Thanks for responses so far...

CLASS disco shop Garrett lane SWnn used to sell a "powerspot" this was a 24v 100w truck headlight in a PAR46 can with integral transformer. ACL are intended for short duty cycles and the higher power ones have warnings about them needing cooling in use -lets face it the 100mph breeze that is a landing aircraft is a good cooling medium!

Archived