Allen & Heath Mix Wizard 3

aidso

Ok so had a "time to get new underware" moment the other night. Doing a gig about 15miles form the warehouse. Setup everything and was getting FOH fine but no aux effects or monitors. So in a last ditch effort I opened the patch panel at the back and reseated all the bus cable and walla sorted.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so what glue you have used to fix the connectors back in place.

Ribbon cables coming adrift is a problem that besets many desk manufacturers. Some (Mackie?) models had to undergo a virtual recal beause of a batch of faulty cables. I suspect that now they are reseated, your Mixwiz ribbons will behave impeccably!

I'd check with A&H with regards to "gluing" the cable headers. You don't want to use something that stops a legitimate disassembly, nor do you want to use a sealant that gives off weak acid fumes (as many silicone products do).

...nor do you want to use a sealant that gives off weak acid fumes (as many silicone products do).

If you go the silicone route you need a 'Neutral Curing' one as opposed to a 'Acetoxy Curing' one. They give off Alcohol as opposed to Acetic Acid.

Is hot melt glue (I.e, glue gun) a suitable option or is it not a good idea for some reason?

On the few occaisions I've needed to (re)secure ribbon connectors I've used hot melt glue from a standard glue gun. Always happy with the results. And, in the main, that appears to be what has been used in the first place.

Archived