Drum kit overhead mics

partyadz

I'm not desperate :D , but they told me: "well, if you can do that, you should project that FOH". I answered: "what's the budget?". The answer was: "about 200 CHF [123 £; 140 €]". So I wrote a list of the material needed, they procured some things and told me to rent the others, I called a pro audio rental and he proposed me the 1 x D 112 plus 2 x C1000 S plus 4 x clips AKG drum kit. I'm not desperate, just not too full of money :D

I often prefer large diaphragm condensors over small diaphragms for drum overheads. I find them slightly less harsh and more flattering to a sound that can all too easily become a clattering mess.

I'm not too fussy as most large diaphragm condensors seem to be more than usable, but I certainly wouldn't say no to AKG C414s!

What sort of budget are you talking partyadz? There's some very nice mics in the lower budgets made by SE Electronics.

As for C1000s they make reasonable hammers. I'd rather use an Argos £5 special for mic'ing purposes though.

I often prefer large diaphragm condensors over small diaphragms for drum overheads. I find them slightly less harsh and more flattering to a sound that can all too easily become a clattering mess.

I'm not too fussy as most large diaphragm condensors seem to be more than usable, but I certainly wouldn't say no to AKG C414s!

What sort of budget are you talking partyadz? There's some very nice mics in the lower budgets made by SE Electronics.

As for C1000s they make reasonable hammers. I'd rather use an Argos £5 special for mic'ing purposes though.

414's are great, but would you want yours getting trashed at a gig? I wouldn't want mine trashed thats for sure!!!! Large diaphrams are more flattering, but small diaphrams more accurate, which sound do you want, mybe the answer/next question.

Argos mic? Mmm, wouldn't quite go that far Mr. Pearce, ** laughs out loud **

Oooo.. oooo o o ooooo.

Well, I've been using KSM27's recently as I never get 1st pick of my 414's. Seem very good, it does of course depend on budget but these 2 were picked up second hand for a reasonable fee.

On the small diaphragm front, SM81's or 94's seem to do the trick.

On a budget the Thomanns EM700 and Em800 are still great mics and I can't recommend them enough when cash is tight.

C1000's well, I'm happy to use them if that is all that is there, but give me some other options, including the above; or a for sale sign; a small boy with a phobia of the word "Chalk"; 3 boxes of tictacs; An ironing board with a piece of gaffa tape stuck to it, or indeed several leaves and I'll take those as a first choice.

The average fire alarm produces a more accurate representation of a drum kit than a C1000. That is a proven fact*

Rob

*Some statements may not necessarily be true.

Yup

got agree with Rob here, the C1000 are C**p- dont even faithfully reproduce a constant tone (ive done it)

would rather no over heads than use one.

Currently im using a pair of Rode RT1000, which are very nice thankyou, if its a 5 piece kit, I generally only put one on the kit.

have used little descreet ones, but as mentioned they tend to pick spots of sound as apposed to an area in which they point.

dan

There goes Rob, being nice to the C1000 again. Sorry mate--you'll never convince me to like them as much as you seem to. I REALLY dislike them!

As for me, I'm a small diaphram condenser fan usually. Typically, I'll bring out either a pair of 451s or maybe Bluelines. However, virtually as good for a lot less money are the SE1As I have.

At the economy end of large diaphram mics, I was once persuaded to try MXL990s on overheads and was very pleasantly surprised--slightly less detail than my 451s but a very pleasant sound. Considering that the person I was trying them for got two mics for £79 including suspension mounts, I don't know why anybody would buy a C1000.

Bob

Reading with interest as well for our band thing next week, having said that I mistakenly read Robs post while eating cornflakes, I now have to explain to my girlfriend why she has cornflakes on her laptop.

I KNOW I have C1000's and that is what we have used but I am looking to see if there is something that could be better.

Been a fan of AKG 414's where budget and gig conditions allow - lots of detail, without sounding "forced" if that makes any sense? Otherwise I'm usually putting 451's or Bluelines above the kit for most gigs I do these days - a great combination of sound vs cost vs size.

I tend to use a C1000 for snare or hat, where the increased HF sensitivity and more pronounced "proximity effect" in supercardioid mode serve to give me a more punchy sound on those instruments than any of our other mics would manage.

C1000 on snare? Brilliant idea, stick it near the drummer's most vicious drum and see it get toasted! Actually - I just discovered what the little plastic adaptor in the box is actually for. You buy a pair of C1000s, take the hypercardioid adaptors and stick them in your ears. You can hear the sound of the sea, and this masks the 'orrible noise coming out of the mics. Anyone who likes the sound of C1000s really needs to get their hearing checked. A few years ago I was the Principal Examiner for A Level Music Technology, and the best ever comment I read from a student on their exam paper when asked how to mic up a drum kit was

I would insert the C1000 in the drummer

I think he probably mean "drum" - but his original version made much more sense.

Agreed Paul - I know from experience that our drummers are typically somewhat uhhh... "more gentle" than the usual rock 'n' roll variety. :D And as they're our least valuable mics from a choice/age/replacement value perspective I'm not terribly worried about them. They do the job and two years on we've not destroyed one yet. Which is more than can be said for some of the more well-regarded kit we've eaten through in this venue!

Here's probably a slightly contentions recomendation, but, for a club scenario, or anywhere ambient, but you want a tight sound, the good old Shure SM57 will work a treat.. Used them numerous times, and yes, they may lack the megga buck soapy sputering goldness of 414's and the like but the have a place, and somtimes my word.... failing that a pair (or three, one for the ride) of sennheiser MKH40's always gets my pulse racing...

Oh, and have found that C1000's can be useful for putting under the edge of a wedge to tip it back a bit... that way they really do help with the sound!

Archived