No Vocals

the-techi

I'm sorry about my large number of posts on here but I really want to get this right...

I recently posted about getting 2 new active JBL speakers (EON15 G2)

I took the advice and have bought some new cables to connect my laptop to the speakers although... now when I try I can't hear any vocals?

What might be the reason for this?

Thank you

Almost certainly incorrectly wired cables, connecting a stereo output to a balanced input.

What's the output connector on your laptop, and what's the input connector on the speaker? (In terms of stereo/mono and balanced/unbalanced)

Almost certainly incorrectly wired cables, connecting a stereo output to a balanced input.

What's the output connector on your laptop, and what's the input connector on the speaker? (In terms of stereo/mono and balanced/unbalanced)

Hi Shez,

Thanks for your response...

The output connector is a mini-jack, just a standard headphone cable... I connected it through a XLR input and then realised that was wrong so I changed it to a Jack input... Neither seem to work?

More info here

Basically, you're taking a stereo unbalanced signal into a mono unbalanced input, with the 2 channels out of phase. Anything that's common to both "sides" - usually the vocals - gets cancelled, anything that's panned to one side gets enhanced.

The way to get around it is to send just the left or right signal (but not both) to the speaker. Something akin to an insert lead will get you most of the way there, but any lead with a 3 pole jack on one end and two connectors at the other end, one of which is connected to the tip and sleeve, the other to the ring & sleeve will do the job.

The best route, however, would be to get an external interface for your laptop with balanced outputs - not only will this sound far better than the laptop headphone output, but you'll be able to run the signal far further without picking up interference using standard balanced cables rather than having to bodge a series of adapters together.

The way to get around it is to send just the left or right signal (but not both) to the speaker. Something akin to an insert lead will get you most of the way there, but any lead with a 3 pole jack on one end and two connectors at the other end, one of which is connected to the tip and sleeve, the other to the ring & sleeve will do the job.

The best route, however, would be to get an external interface for your laptop with balanced outputs - not only will this sound far better than the laptop headphone output, but you'll be able to run the signal far further without picking up interference using standard balanced cables rather than having to bodge a series of adapters together.

So the best way to do it would be to get a mixer and put the laptop through the mixer?

So the best way to do it would be to get a mixer and put the laptop through the mixer?
No - that's not what he said.

Shez said

The best route, however, would be to get an external interface for your laptop with balanced outputs

That means buy or acquire a unit that plugs into your USB on the laptop, which will convert the signals to a balanced output - usually XLR - which can then be fed via a mixer (or direct to your powered speakers if that's all you have) then on to your PA.

It's normal to use mixers though, if only to give you a decent quality of mix and control.

There are several cards for laptop PC that will connect to either the USB or the PCMCIA/cardbus ports and give you high quality balanced outputs, and this route will give good results.

However when I really had to do this exact task my soluton was to use the headphone output on the lappy, (stereo minijack) to a pair of "phono" plugs on a cheap DJ mixer line input. Then use the BALANCED outputs from the mixer to send to the balanced inputs on the powered speakers. Using the balanced output from the mixer was the only way to keep the hums and noises right down. This route also allowed me to add other line equipment and a microphone through the mixer with control and with the transformer balanced outputs isolating ground loops, hums and buzzes.

Well, the BEST route would be to buy the external USB interface, then run the balanced outputs of that into a mixer and from the mixer to your speakers.

However, given a limited budget, the first thing to do is probably get the USB interface with balanced outputs. Even without the problem with the polarity on your output, the quality of laptop headphone sockets is universally rubbish. You'll want something better (i.e. the USB interface pretty fast I should think.

However, it's hard to think of many live sound projects that won't require a mixer as well. You haven't said what you actually want to get set up for but I'd guess that you're going to need a mixer soon too--as soon as you need a microphone to combine with the laptop, you'll be into the realms of mixing.

Bob

the BEST route ...

However, given a limited budget, the first thing to do is...

All very true and excellent advice, but, for completeness...

the CHEAPEST route is to make or buy a cable that will come from your laptop via the stereo mini jack and connect just one of the channels to the speaker. Maplins or cpc, for instance, will sell you a stereo mini-jack - 2 x phono lead. They will also sell you a phono-jack converter. Plug the stereo mini-jack into your laptop headphone output and ONE of the phonos (+jack converter) into your speaker. This won't be the best way to do things but it will be cheap and you will hear the vocals! :rolleyes:

Indeed, on occasion I've resorted to JSB's bodge as a quick and dirty solution...but be aware that you will lose any sounds (instruments, backing vocals, etc.) panned to the side you're not using. On much music it's fine, but on some tracks it will make the mix sound very strange.

Bob

Archived