Insulation tape

Odd question I know but I wanted to know where people buy decent insulation tape from (labeling lighting/sound desks). I usually grab mine from Maplin, but that's when I take a trip to the nearest maplin, which isn't local.

I've also come across the cheap rubbish in the pound shop, which is hardly sticky. And some which you can't write easily on.

So, where do you get your tape from? I'm looking to get a few big roles of it as my stock is nearly depleted.

Zach

Either CPC, or Le mark/gaffertape.

I'll second both of those. Screwfix also had some in their clearance section recently, it's not as tough/sticky as the Le Mark stuff but at ~40p a roll cheaper I'm not complaining.

Most people use sparks. If you hire kit, ask the company to stick a couple of rolls on the end, they'll be happy to do this (so their cables will turn up neatly coiled and taped on the end). A roll's normally £1 odd each and it's usually good stuff.

I have a hidden stash of decent stuff from the local electrical supplier and a prominent supply of lots of tiny rolls for £1 from the pound shops. Those get stolen borrowed and I don't care. My decent stuff is still there.

(OT Why do people ask if they can borrow disposables like tape?)

Since the question was about electrical tape for marking sound and lighting desks, not actually for electrical purposes, I'll just mention that....

...I only use electrical tape as a second choice. My favourite tape for marking up desks is what we used to call "camera tape" in the TV industry. It's a very fine grain fabric tape that tears easily (in either direction) and takes sharpie, ball point or even pencil really well. It also holds the ink for the length of a run rather than rubbing off on your wrists.

If I recall, it's available from Canford on the same page as their gaffer tapes (indeed being known as Type D gaffer in some catalogues).

Bob

Since the question was about electrical tape for marking sound and lighting desks, not actually for electrical purposes, I'll just mention that....

...I only use electrical tape as a second choice. My favourite tape for marking up desks is what we used to call "camera tape" in the TV industry. It's a very fine grain fabric tape that tears easily (in either direction) and takes sharpie, ball point or even pencil really well. It also holds the ink for the length of a run rather than rubbing off on your wrists.

If I recall, it's available from Canford on the same page as their gaffer tapes (indeed being known as Type D gaffer in some catalogues).

Bob

So, like masking tape then?

"camera tape"

Took the words right out of my mouth - camera tape would be my 'weapon of choice' for desk labelling if a roll of it happened to be available. It's a variation on gaffer tape, but it's got a matt finish, is 25mm wide rather than the 50mm of gaffer, and as Bobbsy mentions it's a very fine-grained cloth substrate which tears cleanly and easily.

Archived