Dropping Lanterns Via Bungee Cords !!

congo5

A Show called "The Crucible" Requires a number of lanterns to be dropped from the Lighting Grid/LX Bar.

There needs to be a way all lanterns can be dropped at the same time easily ?

Bearing in mind theese lanterns will be on bungee cords, is there an extra support we can use to support the bungee incase it snaps ?

Theese Lanterns will be in use throughout the show, Which Lantern would be more suitable, For lightweight options we was thinking Par Cans ?

Any Advice or Tips would be much Apprechiated

Welcome to the Blue Room.

I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to explain the technicalities of dropping things from the grid. In the mean time there are a couple of points worth considering:

The lanterns that you drop don't need to be actual functioning lanterns. You are better off to get a gutted parcan and hang it next to a functioning light and just cut the power to the functioning light at the same time you drop the dummy. That way you don't have a whole pile of falling glass and you don't have to deal with reliably and safely disconnecting the power as it drops.

Why are they on bungee cords? I can only assume there is some pressing artistic reason, if that's the case you'll need to find some sort of bungee that is reliable enough that there is no chance of it snapping, flicking back and taking someone's eye out. If the bungee isn't actually necessary (I can't imagine Arthur Miller calling for some lights to be bouncing up and down on stage) just let the gutted dummies drop free.

It is crucial that the lantern goes exactly where you expect it to go every time. The easiest way is to run a thin cable from the grid to the stage running through the yoke of the lantern. That way when it falls it is guided by the cable and when it hits the stage it can't fly off sideways.

Thanks for the advice,

We're not sure on what Arthur Miller's Idea's where on this matter. The idea we got was that when one of the characters were led of to be executed, the bouncing lanterns gave the spooky atmosphere of him being hung in the gallows

Which is where we got the idea of Bungee's.

er, people who are executed by hanging don't 'bounce', their fall is arrested by their breaking neck and they swing, which may have a bounce-like appearance. Drop the lantern on a rope and - if it has enough weight - you would achieve a similar effect. Although lanterns aren't water rich carbon based life forms, so it will never look that similar.

A lantern, dropped from the grid on a bungee will spin, swing, bounce and point every which way, as well as the large possibility of the lamp popping due to the forces being exerted on it when it is hot. Seriously I think this will not be the effect you are looking for. Also due to the unpredictability of the swing they pose a large hazard to anyone on stage or in the wings. I would think again, unless you are doing a very modern take on the crucible the appearance of any modern theatre lamp will just look like a mistake I think.

Guest lightnix
er, people who are executed by hanging don't 'bounce', their fall is arrested by their breaking neck and they swing...

But this is Theatah, Dahling... suspenders of disbelief and all that ;)

I like the idea of this effect :) I'm just wondering if you could make something battery powered with LEDs in. Here's an interesting germ of an idea - maybe you could use a more reflective surface instead of a tennis ball, to bounce the light further :unsure:

I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to explain the technicalities of dropping things from the grid...

As WiLL says, if you're using a directional light source, then you'll need to stop it spinning on the cord - maybe with a second cord :unsure: If you go for lantern-style 360° sources, then spinning wont be so much of a problem.

e2a...

Swinging will be less of a problem, the longer the rope becomes and should be negligible if the drop is vertical. Check out the Wiki page on pendulums.

Saw something similar done years ago, pile of `lanterns` dropping from grid, still lit, to celebrate performers `Birthday` , twice nightly..

Lanterns were cardboard dummys with low wattage lamps in them and gels, realeased by pull line and loose pins, dangling from their cords with wire line retainer.

(I can't imagine Arthur Miller calling for some lights to be bouncing up and down on stage)
I like the idea too. Much safer than messing around with nooses and actors necks. (However appealing the idea may be sometimes)

Bearing in mind this is in a College Theatre, so Expense and complicated idea's won't work. I personally would love to spend the time doing it, as it is something unusual, but others won't be so keen. 

Guest lightnix
Bearing in mind this is in a College Theatre, so Expense and complicated idea's won't work.

So far, I don't think anyone has quoted anything either expensive or complicated.

I personally would love to spend the time doing it, as it is something unusual, but others won't be so keen. 

What's more important - the quality of the show, or how much of an easy time people can make for themselves? Genius (as Einstein said) is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration; any good idea will require at least some degree of work and effort, to make it look good in reality.

The few times I have done the Crucible, that particular 'effect' was cut. Its not detremental to the plot and any other misfortune could occur instead.

It proved to fiddly and not effective looking both for pro and am-dram versions. One director had visions of a phantom type falling chanderliers / lamps going on which was crazy - and another had more realistic ideas about falling PARcans - much like as you mentioned - but after tossing ideas around of ways (and ways not) to do it, we decided that the effect - however we did it - woudlnt be totally realistic and so he changed the 'scenerio' to something else.

BUT, saying all that, I have done an effect much like it in which I had an entire kabuki run of lampless PARS rigged with longer and higher rated safety chains. Along the bar were also some small pyro flashes, So... kabuki triggers, all the PARS come off, fall a little until stopped by the chains, make a nice noise as they clank around and topped off with a few bangs and sparks from the pyros .

Brilliant!!

There were a few brown seats that night!!

The Crucible by Arthur Miller does not REQUIRE lanterns to fall though your production may chose this device to perform the execution scene and it may be better than any of the fake noose situations.

However IIRC the action continues so the fallen lanterns will have to be recovered first.

Technically trying to drop a lantern will put the lamp at risk as hot filaments are not good at sudden movements.

Artistically IMO the appearance of some illuminated moving things will take the attention away from the action portrayed

There are several systems for timed releases usually referred as Kabuki be they hooks or relays or....

Dropping the light LEVEL is a more normal device to convey a death or hanging unless you want to hang a rag doll from a noose and do the drop in sillouhete, though for some n the audience this may be "too much detail"!

Archived