15A - IEC leads

Richard P-W

Hello everyone, long time lurker finally got round to registering, etc...

I was going through the CPC catalogue preview over breakfast(!) and spotted these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.j...=cpc/453699.xml

I can already think of a few applications, although at 2m, some cable management on the bars might be required. Thought I'd share them with everyone

Rich

Non-shrouded pins... tut tut. But well, I suppose it is from South Africa!

Its a useful find though, don't think I could put one of them together from new for that price, not with the current prices for 15a unless you buy bulk.

T

I was going through the CPC catalogue preview over breakfast(!) ...

Ah, so there's at least two of us then!

I obtained a couple of those cables for two disco fixtures which the High School had connected to dimmers on the FOH bar. I have told them on several occasions to use hard power not dimmers; however my words fell on deaf ears. Unfortunately, they had "borrowed" two of the cables from my Preludes, as they fitted, and I needed them back. They'll work for that but not for lanterns as it's PVC cable.

I have a fair amount of these just with 15A Duraplugs on IEC cables, as in our venue our hard power is on 15A as well as dimmed - running scroller PSUs, projectors etc from them.

Re the un-shrouded pins comment - don't the current Duraplugs have unshrouded pins? Permaplugs are but I don't believe the Duraplugs are.

Regarding non-shrouded pins, I believe we've covered this elsewhere in the BR.

As 15A plugs are not a d0mestic connector, it doesn't necessarily fall under the same criteria as I recall, and as such shrouded L/N pins aren't mandatory. I think it went something along the lines of the fact that it's classed as being used by a more professional type of user, rather than available for all & sundry (including very young children) and as such we're expected to be more than capable of NOT getting fingers caught...

That said, I think I'd struggle (especially with fingers of my size) to get anything in between plug & socket (of a properly gated socket) before the pins have made contact with the live terminal...

But to the OP, it's not something I'd consider buying as I have literally dozens of IECs lying about that have been collected from old PCs and other kit over the last 10 years - if we need one with a 15A or 16A or anything other than 13A, we just chop the plug off and slap on what we want!

Simples.

^_^

Archived