Ear Protection

HolyPhish

Having scraped my way through college and now setting out in the 'real' world it's become apparent that good ear protection is a must.

Is there a brand people would recommend? a website with the best prices?

I have googled and found some makes/models but knowing that there is often unsung heroes of the trade I don;t want to go buy some and find I could have got better for cheaper somewhere else.

I do have some money but don;t want my pants pulled down over price.

Surprisingly all the hearing aid centres can first of all test your hearing, for free, to give you a datum to start from and then produce moulded "musicians" ear protectors at reasonable cost.

It is completely up to the individual as to which protection to buy and from which source. I do, however, recommend getting your hearing tested as how could you ever prove any deterioration should you suffer Noise Induced Hearing Loss? "He was already deaf, Guv!". Also do search the BR (above) for earplugs and you will get loads of info.

Must say it is good to see this thread, pardon! (Peter Tinniswood 1936-2003)

another +1 for the alpines, which come with differentl levels of filter.

I usually use highest for work (school, students who find "11" even if it isnt there"

the middle for general rigging whilst lound stuff going on

not used the lowest yet (2 years) the actual noise work I do isnt lound enough for it.

OK... a few comments that probably won't fit in with the "way we do things".

Most people are apparently using ear plugs a) to "take the edge off" and b) using "musician" plugs to try and achieve a relatively flat attenuation.

As far as the wider world of hearing protection is concerned, it is recognised that poor use and fitting derates the effectiveness of any hearing protector. It is also recognised that the degree of hearing protection should be chosen according to the exposure spectrum and level, rather than arbitrarily selecting a device with a single figure assumed protection level.

For reference, there are three methods of determining hearing protector effectiveness, and there is a quick guide and calculator on the HSE's website. Needless to say, the recommended attenuation (with respect to CONAWR 2005 compliance) for typical concert levels is much higher than what we have discussed here ;-)

Simon

Indeed it is Mr Lewis.

It is important to make a distinction between ear plugs for those who need to hear accurately (Sound ops, maybe LX if busking), and those who don't (followspot ops, security, bar staff).

If I'm mixing I find anything more than 15dB assumed protection level (see Simon, I have remembered something from uni!) makes the percieved bass increase (from attenuating air borne sound but not bone conducted sound) too large to mentally compensate for.

After much mucking around with cheap earplugs that fitted poorly and consequently didn't attenuate well, or hurt my ears, or made it sound rubbish, I spent out on a set of moulded plugs, and the difference is amazing. Like comparing Asda value lager to a large glass of Merlot.

However if I'm on pit camera than a set of coms built around industrial hearing defenders are grand!

Archived