Multimeter

Rob

I'm looking to buy a new multimeter at around the £60 mark. Doesn't have to be too flash, just something for general purpose LX use etc.

What do people recommend?The only places I've tried so far are Maplin and RS. I'd quite like a clamp meter for ease of use, my current favourite is from Maplin, specs below:

Maplin Multimeter

Clamp Meter with DMM Price £59.99

• 3½ digit display with high resolution

• ACA current up to 700A

• Auto-ranging frequency up to 20KHz

• Diode/continuity test

• Overload protection

This clamp meter offers high quality build, excellent aesthetics and extensive features, all at an affordable price. It measures AC/DC volts, ohms, AC current and frequency. In addition to this, the clamp meter has the capability of testing diodes and continuity (audible) and has a data and maximum hold facility.

Frequency: Autoranging up to 20KHz

DC Volt: 600V ±0.5%

AC Volt: 200/600V ±1.2%

Resistance: 2/200k ±1.2%

Overload protection: 600V

Also, what do people think about Gas powered Soldering Irons. I've never used one, but it looks quite handy to not have to worry about power...

Have used the maplin meter, and wouldn't again! Not very reliable/accurate/robust.

Spend the extra if you want a clamp meter otherwise it won't really do the job for you, bit of a false economy, you do get what you pay for with test equipment. If you only want to spend £60 then don't get a clamp meter, but you will get a reasonable standard one.

Hope that helps

Owen

Guest lightnix

The clamp meter is only really ever used for measuring current flowing down a single phase cable, to do that with a multimeter you would need to do it in series :** laughs out loud **: I believe that some really clever ones can do three phase cables, but they cost £££s and are generally beyond the reach of the average theatre technician.

A multimeter is far more use to most people and generally used in LX to check voltages, particularly to ensure that 3 phase supplies have been installed correctly. Also as a "bleeper" to check continuity across bulbs, fuses, multicore lines, etc. They can also measure resistance, capacitance, etc.

The "industry standard" make of multimeters is Fluke, most models are available from RS Components. Yes I know they're expensive, but you get what you pay for, they are the dogs wotsits and will last you forever - mine is over ten years old and has been thrashed about on numerous gigs across the planet without any trouble at all.

Actually, I see that RS are doing a special on a Fluke meter with clamp meter attachment for only £163, but they are out of stock at the moment. See RS Stock No. 451-8656. Not sure whether a 25mm jaw width would be adequate for serious gig work though.

I did once have a cheapo Maplin meter. One day I dropped it and it started to rattle a bit. Later that day I measured some voltage and it virtually exploded in my hand :P with the meter cover getting blown off and hitting me right on the nose. No harm done luckily and it got a big laugh from my so called "mates". Utterly useless after that though and I swore never to get a cheapo meter again - hence the Fluke.

Gas soldering irons ? Definitely worth a look, although caution is needed if soldering delicate components and turning them up full is not recommended as they get well hot. Very useful as an extra, but don't abandon your electric one as there will inevitably be a time when the gas runs out at the point you really need a soldering iron, your tin of gas will be empty and all the shops will be shut. Believe me, I've been there and it sucks.

I would echo: Buy a Fluke. If you can't afford one: save up and buy a Fluke. Seriously - you won't regret it - I love mine. (And it's about 6 years old and looks and works like it's brand-new, despite having described a graceful arc to the floor a number of times.)

PS: A Fluke 110 (basic model) is only £79 ex-vat Not so far out of your price range.

Rob, I got hold of a fluke 110 for about £75 and I wouldnt change it (except maybe for a better fluke) give me a call and ill see if I can get you one too, cna t promise anything ecxcept ill try, I would extend the offer to anyone wanting one but unfortunatly I can only get hold of 1 more I think, oh, I forgot to mention, all new and in box, never opened, and all above board.

Ben

Thanks for your recommendations, I've been toying with the idea of a Fluke for a while, I know they're the Muts Nuts!

The 110 is within my budget, is it worth paying extra for any of the other models?

Depends what you do with it. My most-used feature is probably an audible continuity tester, other than that all I ever do is measure voltages, currents and the occasional resistance.

Posher ones have backlights, rechargable batteries, can measure capacitance, test transistors and diodes, work with large currents, auto-range, remember previous min/max measurements, have faster sample rates, better accuracy etc.

Guest lightnix
If you wish to measure current with a normal multimeter, you have to do it in series with the load - that is with the meter connected in between the load and the live :** laughs out loud **: . This is not something most people would wish to do under any circumstances. A clamp meter is the ideal solution for current measurement.

one thing to look for on a multimeter is the level of protection it offers the user if you do something wrong,its all to easy to try and measure the resitance of the national grid when fault finding,(my battered old robin makes a farting noise if I try this)cheeper meters tend to get upset and fly away fairly rapidly,often with a nice flame effect.

Archived