Lighting Console Question

adamski1010

Hey guys,

Right, I know that this topic has been looked at in the past however I'm looking for opinions on certain products that I've not seen mentioned before.

Picture the scene, you arrive at a small club or festival type music event to run lighting for mid level Folk or Rock bands, basic LX rig (MAC250 Entours, Bunch of LEDs, lots of PARs). You can have either a Zero88 Fat Frog, Avolites Azure Shadow or an Elation Show Designer 3 at FOH. What do you go for and why?

I know that lots of people are likely to say 'Just get a Pearl 2000 and be done with it,' but as a mainly PA company we have no interest in spending 2.5k on a large console that has tons of features we dont need. We dont need to meet many LX riders and if we do, we normally hire in a Pearl 2004 or Hog. The desk will be op'd by our own staff (experienced personnel, learning curve is not an issue) and used for gigs and events.

Opinions?

Cheers

Adam

The azure is not the greatest of the avo desks, try and get a pearl tiger if your budget stretches to it.

The Tiger is running to around the same price as a Pearl 2000, around 3k, I'm not wanting to go that high when most of the jobs are small ones. I'm looking to spend somthing along the lines of 1.5k. Well, it seems to be that the Azure is the most popular desk, and it will actually be cheapest of the three to purchase, so we have a winner!

Cheers

Adam

I'd go for the AVO, the frog is not a great desk to busk on, plus is limited to just 12 fixtures. Admittedly it's probably the cheapest but with lighting desks it's always you get what you pay for. I'm not saying the frog is a bad desk mind you, it's just not what I would describe as a 'rock and roll' desk.

Have you considered a Chamsys MagicQ wing? Imagine a cross between a pearl and a hog that is affordable; that's my opinion out of the 3!

Feel free to come down to us in SE London for a demo. We don't work for Chamsys, we just have their consoles and highly rate them!

Hth,

Dunc @ DCLX

I realise that you didn't suggest MagicQ in you're original post; however, I do believe that it would be a good option for you to look into. It is more flexible than the Avo desk (although there are less physical buttons) as the MagicQ can be used in theatre too. Combine the MagicQ PC wing with a EEE Top and you've got a powerful console for < £1500. This combination is something that at least one BR member uses.

The Fat Frog has it's place, its good for schools. MagicQ is good for everything I have used it for (admittedly, not that much) and has been easy to setup and use.

Josh

Picture the scene, you arrive at a small club or festival type music event to run lighting for mid level Folk or Rock bands, basic LX rig...

While the Azure is far from ideal at least the operating system would be familiar to many users and they could just get on with the job. The same cannot be said for the other options, including Chamsys. You'd end up spending all your time babysitting the user. And if I saw a PC/wing combo I wouldn't be too impressed. It might make sense and be great value for LD's to own but I don't see it as being suitable for this application.

And if I saw a PC/wing combo I wouldn't be too impressed

why ever not? Ok there may not be every physical button you'd get on the actual desk,but with a touch screen who needs em?

the MagicQ PC wing with a EEE Top and you've got a powerful console for < £1500. This combination is something that at least one BR member uses.

guilty as charged

Archived