Frosted Polycarbonate

fluiduk

Hi

Im ordering a whole bunch of 1mm polycarbonate sheets, got a really good price of 8.52 per sheet, for 2000 by 1250mm.

Trouble is they only do the 1mm in clear. It needs to be no thicker than 1mm as I am planning on rolling it into columns.

So I am looking for ways to make it frosted. This is for a uni production so the budget is tight, ruling out the 20 cans of frosting spray that would be needed at 4 quid a tin.

I have heard of another method involving mixing varnish with paint, the problem being that varnish is highly flammable and nasty, not ideal for health and sfaety etc.

And before you say it, I cant afford a roll of diffusion gel ;)

Can anyone suggest other methods of creating a frosted effect.

Many thanks

Aaron

Guest lightnix

I suppose a light sanding or wire brushing might do the trick (mind the dust !), but it would be difficult to get an even effect and the cost of your time would probably exceed that of frost spray / diffusion gel, etc.

Would watered-down PVA (wood glue) work or would the lack of a keyed surface be a problem ?

What about tracing paper, or if the heat is an issue what about baking paper/parchment.

NB I haven't actually tried either of these in a show, but having had a quick play with the baking paper and a light bulb and it looks like it should work. It is also designed for temperatures up to 230°C (Well my pack was).

PN

The trouble with that is the size.  THese colums are going to be 6 foot tall and have a diameter of 1foot.

Aaron

I don't think it will be much of a problem my pack of baking paper/parchment was 25m by 30cm. Which from looking at the numbers should be enough to do three or four columns, at what will probably be a bargain price.

PN

Okay, this is going to sound kinda crazy & I don't know how it will work on polycarbonate sheets, but I've seen it work a dream on perspex, so it might be worth a go. It made a kind of crystalline frosting

You will need some Epsom salts & some beer (think of it as making a sacrifice for your art!).

There are several recipes out there with regards to quantities, so you'll probably have to experiment a bit, but the basic premise is:

1) Dissolve Epsom salts in beer (e.g. 4 heaped tablespoons to 1 cup for starters)

2) This mixture will foam up - do not be alarmed!

3) Leave to 'set' (approx. 20-30 mins - enough time for some of the crystals to dissolve in the beer).

4) Sponge mixture onto surface & leave to dry.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the beer was lager or bitter (I suspect the former). I woudl probably suggest experimenting with cheap, horrible beer & keeping the more expensive stuff for drinking.

Simplest way is to just leave the protective plastic film on one side. Ususally there is some branding on one side but the other side is often plain frosted plastic film. Might need to do some shopping around to find some with branding on one side. As long as it has been handled carefully, you should be fine.

We recently had several similar polycarbonate screens in a production. Some needed to be clear and some frosted. After carefully sticking frosted gell to some, we realised the we should have just left the protective film on one side :( this makes a great projection screen too.

Archived