NYE-london eye 2009/10

lite_lad

Hello :D

As it's almost new year and I was bored I decided to go for a little trip down to the London eye to see what was going be happening for NYE as unfortunately I'm going to be elsewhere on the night :( and there was a fair bit happening so as far as I could see there is:

10Moving lights on each end of the pier in front of the eye(although only one side was there I'm guessing they were programming so that they could mirror them rather than having to setup all 20 each night) and there was 5 at the front and five at the back as you can see in the pictures I've attached below.

There are some moving lights which looked as though they were clay paky for the big building(which name I can't remember but it's the one which they actually projected onto last year) and this year it's a similar idea although I couldn't see any pojectors so assume there won't be any, and it will just be gobos unlike the countdown last year. This is done out the side out a 7.5T truck at the opposite edge of the bit of grass to the building.

Across the road in the production area there is a small truss roof(there's a picture below of this aswell) which is loaded up with movers which I guess are going to be used pointing across the river although there are alot of trees and bits in the way so I'll be interested to see what they do with this. These also looked like clay paky but again I'm not 100% sure.

And that's all that was there tonight although I presume there will be something inside each of the domes as they have been used every year so far! And it's quite an integral part of the display as the wheel is the focal point(well I think so)

It also looks as though stage electrics is supplying lighting because the flightcases which where there all had stage electrics on them although I was surprised by how few there were but am sure there are more somewhere! And sorry that it's such a non specific description with regards to kit etc but it'd be great to hear what people working on it/involved with it know, I also find knowing what's being used before something happens more interesting when your watching it as you can see what they've done with what there using and often gives me ideas :party:

And there's the pictures I took, but ive just realised ive forgotten the lead for them! so hopefully they'll be up tomorrow :P

why cant we do something different for a change,instead of shed loads of movers why not have 10 people with big bits of card with the numbers 1 to 10 for the count down, a bloody big dappled mirror (manually operated of course ) to reflect the moon onto the surrounding buildings for the pretty patterns, lots of no toxic multicoloured food dye in the thames for the coloured river look and 1000's of smarties hung from the trees.

why cant we do something different for a change,instead of shed loads of movers why not have 10 people with big bits of card with the numbers 1 to 10 for the count down, a bloody big dappled mirror (manually operated of course ) to reflect the moon onto the surrounding buildings for the pretty patterns, lots of no toxic multicoloured food dye in the thames for the coloured river look and 1000's of smarties hung from the trees.

If I was Boris, I;d take you on for 2010/11!

SLX are doing the install and will take around 3 days to complete. If you go down tonight you should see them doing a few tests but of course it will all slot into place at countdown time. Glad its not me out there in the freezing rain working on this one :blink:

got pictures now... first one is across the road...sorry this one isnt the best one ive ever taken but its not bad considering how dark it was:)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Y69w-ZPzlew/SzuLOXjRUgI/AAAAAAAAAlg/FcOvQNHVWuc/s640/100_4821.JPG

this is the building behind the eye, when I was there the stars were "falling"

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Y69w-ZPzlew/SzuLOtXMp0I/AAAAAAAAAlk/PSVvLQEk9X8/s640/100_4815.JPG

this is the pontoon infront of the eye

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Y69w-ZPzlew/SzuLPDIxYbI/AAAAAAAAAlo/ICgMHB_N4YA/s640/100_4833.JPG

this is the view of them in action...and it was quite good(for the lights at least) because the rain was kind of hazey which really made the beams show up

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Y69w-ZPzlew/SzuLPe_H2tI/AAAAAAAAAls/IeoHPZSR5MA/s640/100_4836.JPG

and finally a nice arty shot of the eye with the row of trees lit beatifully behind it :blink:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Y69w-ZPzlew/SzuLPpf6i8I/AAAAAAAAAlw/jFS-eFw79Os/s640/100_4825.JPG

I think something along the lines of those little tea light things that float away would be quite nice in that last pic. It would be simple and different and look really nice IMO. On a different train of thought, how about some of those RGB pixel thingys( that Peter Newman talked about a couple of years ago) hanging from the trees, sort of like colour changing smarties. :blink:

Josh

Guest lightnix

Just heard on the BBC Local News...

London's NYE fireworks last year, cost £400,000 and lasted 10 minutes. This year's display will be two minutes shorter, for £330,000.

Cheaper overall, then - but more expensive per minute :blink:

Well, having just watched the display, unfortunately I have two items of critique...

Firstly, why do the TV producers/directors insist on using multiple camera angles - just because they can...?

Close ups of fireworks are pretty darned boring, to be frank.

The whole idea of a mass display is to view the efforts as a whole - not as some isolated flashes & bangs with the occasional wide shots.

:blink:

And secondly - and apologies should anyone here be involved in any way - I didn't feel that the display as such was, overall, that spectacular. Sure, there were thousands of fireworks, and there were several nice sections where the set pieces looked very ordered and symmetrical. But a LOT of the 8 minutes seemd rather random and over-populated with flashes.

I seem to recall thinking the same after last year's efforts. I mean there's only so many ways you can send a pyro round a circle...

Of course, my viewpoint may have been coloured by the randomness of the TV cameras.........

:)

There was a HUGE opportunity to use lighting and/or lasers in conjunction with the pyrotechnics. Strong beams through the smoke created could have made a BIG difference in so many ways. And bouncing lasers from various high rise locations around the wheel could have been spectacular.

And I have to agree with Ynot. My thought part way through was "this is boring" - yes I like the cannon of effects going round the eye but how many times can that really be done? One section I did really like was towards the end when there was a long series of fireworks which each left a myriad of sparkles in the air 0 the sum total of all of them over maybe 30 seconds made a whole mass of sparkles.

But I'm not a fireworks display designer - merely a viewer.

Archived