NYE-london eye 2009/10

lite_lad

There was also a comment from ms Klass just before the display saying this year there wouldn't be any music to accompany the pyro (was there music last year...?). Apparently the designer wanted the percussion of the fireworks to be the rhythm... However, I couldn't fathom any discernable pattern, let alone rhythm...

I have to say that one of the best fireworks/music/light/laser shows I've ever seen was the Disney/EPCOT Illuminations the first couple of times I went to Florida. That was back in the mid 80s. Set around (for those who've never been) the big lagoon, the whole thing was choreographed to perfection in every department. yes, they've got a fixed stage and loads of time to practice and perfect it, but even so, I'm sure we could do as well for the sort of cash being spent here....

Ive just stumbled home after doing a firing tonight over in somewhere in the middle of nowhere! (slight tangent but we drove through upper and middle slaughter...nice!) anywhos...I did find out that the guys dont get onto the wheel to set the fireworks until after 4pm on the day, so its not as if they have a chance to set 100s of different things going off on there...just a thought!

Still haven't actually seen the display yet though - im sure it will be on youtube tomorrow when I wake!

As for large and superb fireworks displays. Check out "thunder over louisville" its one of the biggest and best!

Steve

Well aware of the limited setup and 'rehearsal' time of these events - just like the discussions on the RVP.

But the thing is that presumably the guys who prep and fire the display are pros, who have up to 12 months to plan the event. Fireworks these days are more predictable and controllable so there shouldn't be too much difficulty designing something that looks, well, more structured overall... should there?

And as I say, in this case, maybe less is more - less pyro in favour of an increase in lighting the night sky. A huge Son et Lumiere if you will.

Just my opinion, of course.

Don't forget that the NYE display around the London Eye is essentially designed to provide 10 seconds of pretty footage for news channels around the world, in order to promote UK Plc. The public attendance is pretty much secondary. To that end, there were the usual gorgeous shots that involved the Eye, the Houses of Parliament and lots of fireworks.

From a pyrotechnician's point-of-view, the glow-worm comets were beautiful. Well done to the team involved.

Archived