DMX tester

torch1972

I can't find a manual of the swisson but since the website makes no mention of actual DMX signal analysis I think which of the two is more recommended depends very much on what the OP wants to do with the tool.

The Swisson seems to be a nice tool to "analyze" the incomming data as far as which channel is at what level and seems to have a really nice cable tester, however I see no mention made of analysis of other parameters that the Dr.DMXII tests that you may really like to know when trouble shooting a DMX line like:

- Signal quality (voltage level)

- Signal compliance/timing details (Break, MaB, etc.)

- Start code

These are all provided by the Dr.DMXII, it could be that the swisson also does it, I just can't find any confirmation in the form of a manual or even a claim by the manufacturer.

I can't find a manual of the swisson but since the website makes no mention of actual DMX signal analysis I think which of the two is more recommended depends very much on what the OP wants to do with the tool.

The Swisson seems to be a nice tool to "analyze" the incomming data as far as which channel is at what level and seems to have a really nice cable tester, however I see no mention made of analysis of other parameters that the Dr.DMXII tests that you may really like to know when trouble shooting a DMX line like:

- Signal quality (voltage level)

- Signal compliance/timing details (Break, MaB, etc.)

- Start code

These are all provided by the Dr.DMXII, it could be that the swisson also does it, I just can't find any confirmation in the form of a manual or even a claim by the manufacturer.

You're right, the Swisson doesn't 'analyze' DMX. It will just give you levels in various formats. It's a great little unit though for most applications. Even has basic scene playback functions and fits the OPs budget. I paid £220 inc VAT & del. a couple of months ago.

If you want to read the manual before you buy, there's a pdf copy of the DR DMX II here. It used to be available on a Dutch website but I can't find it today.

Not knocking the product in the slightest, but the manual reads like it's been not-quite translated from another language.

You're right, the Swisson doesn't 'analyze' DMX. It will just give you levels in various formats. It's a great little unit though for most applications. Even has basic scene playback functions and fits the OPs budget. I paid £220 inc VAT & del. a couple of months ago.

Wow! I've got the Swisson tester, had it about 3 - 4 years (I think!) and I recall paying around £130.00 ish (inc VAT). I'll have to check the PO system at work as I bought it through the company but still it was a lot cheaper than that!

As others have I can highly recommend the Swisson unit, well built and has a good weight to it (reassuringly heavy!), it rattles around (without it's pouch) in both my toolbox and workbox and it still looks like new. The only problem I've had is sometimes the software has a few glitches and won't change menu's, but I think I had an early model when it first came out, I should really see if there is a software update.

Cheers

Dan

If you want to read the manual before you buy, there's a pdf copy of the DR DMX II here. It used to be available on a Dutch website but I can't find it today.

I was referring to the manual for the swisson model, their website only seems to list what the product does and they offer product pictures/brochures for download but no manual or firmware updates.

As far as getting the manual from a currently up and running website this is where I found it:

http://www.botex-germany.de/

Archived