Theatre Welcome / Safety Announcment

Hi,

I currently do live announcments over a microphone for the welcome / safety message at the begining of the production at my school and local theatre.

I'm fine with doing it live, but it can be difficult to do for example shortages of mics, too busy etc...

I would like a pre-recorded announcment, but I don't want to do it myself - is there anyone who would be as kind as to put one together for me? The school and theatre hasn't got any money to purchase one from a professional as it's not really required.

I would like the announcement to say:

"Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to this theatre.

May we take this oppertunity to remind you to switch off all mobile phones, the use of cameras including mobile phones and recording equipment is strictly prohibited in this theatre."

Would prefer a female, but can't be to fussy - if anyone will put one together it'll be much appreciated. I will send you my email address through a PM if you are able to email it to me.

Thanks again,

Zach

This has come up before.

Surely you have some recording facilities at the school? Even if it's a quiet room with a decent quality computer and a microphone. Or a tape deck/recordable CD or MD...?

Maybe you could 'audition' some of the other students for a suitable voice, choose one, and get them to record what you want?

This has come up before.

Surely you have some recording facilities at the school? Even if it's a quiet room with a decent quality computer and a microphone. Or a tape deck/recordable CD or MD...?

Maybe you could 'audition' some of the other students for a suitable voice, choose one, and get them to record what you want?

Yep, we do have recording facilities, I know it sounds a bit stupid but I would like a different voice, could use students but really want an adult voice.

Thanks for the reply :)

Teacher? The Caretaker?

I don't think that anyone would be up for doing it.

Are you sure?

Not wanting to dampen your plans, but to be honest, pre-show announcements come in ALL shapes and sizes, many are tailored to the show in production, and as such you may need to re-record often.

Personally, I'm a fan of composing a script for the show as required and either recording that for playback as required, or do it live.

Note - occasionally, for panto, we have a couple of the actors do the pre-show and interval announcements in-character.

There are plenty of professional voiceover artists around. They generally charge professional rates.

There are a few that even advertise on Ebay, and you might get one of them cheaply - but audition them carefully before parting with money - make sure they've got the "right voice".

Many local radio DJs will also do you one - 30 quid for a 30 sec announcement, cash-in-hand, is about the going rate. A bit more if it goes through the books.

Do you have a local drama school? Somewhere that they teach elocution or voice projection?

But the best bet is to think about people that you know. There's bound to be someone with the right sort of voice. I know of one professional video production company that had all sorts of actors and DJs on their books, but the their "best" voice was actually one of their security guards!

Again ask school first,

However I do recall having something like this years ago, I think I had copies with and without jingles, I'll have a look for you.

It is simple to do it though, get an adult - even a parent, to put on a clear pro voice and download audacity, plug a mic into your computer and record.

Among your school staff you have enough people who speak well enough to project to a whole class at a time, Among your school's parents you have someone who does some kind of speaking as part of their life. If you cannot find a suitable volunteer then it's probably you not asking the right people, or those people realising that you will need more than one announcement possibly hundreds in the end.

You have the five minute call and the two minute call, then these may need changes if the performance is a mattinée

Then you may want thename of the show and any cast changes.

It's NOT the statutory life jacket announcement on a boat that is the same by law each time, the pre show announcement is part of the greater performance. It may have to be different each time!

Try the guys at VoiceProNetwork http://voicepronetwork.com/

If its for non profit, they should do you one. You may end up with it very American though!

I think its a case of who you know though. I work in a theme park and have previously had people from park actors, to contacts of other staff do voiceover work for us - some professional too.

Hope this helps!

I would try your local radio station, either BBC or commercial, they will probably be more than happy to help - we have had recordings done by local BBC presenters and they are generally really keen to help if its for a charitable status organisation or local arts venue (that in all probability has less money than a charity!)

Archived