Which Is Better For A Sub? Passive Or Active??

MisterJames

is passive the best all rounder?

thanks

Once again, its about the requirements.

Define the term 'all rounder'...

The thing is, in some cases the active sub can power a couple of satallites. So in my opinion, if you're a small mobile disco, or PA for a fairly small event, then active is the way to go. (Less to transport).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking of a 4x18" and two tops type PA :rolleyes: , so some small out door gigs maybe, transport is not a prob but damp is.

thanks

In that case I would definately say passive. Easier to customize (having seperate amps and cabs), and generally more effective.

But that's only my opinion...

IMHO if you are going to be doing gigs in different types of venues, particularly outdoor venues, then there may come a time where you might have to consider hornloaded subs for some of them If so, having your own amps will help to offset your hire costs for the bigger gigs. That is the way I work anyway.

HTH

Andy

In my opinion, passive is better for subs. Powered "active" ones don't seem to last long before developing faults. Circuit boards (and fuses) are just not designed to cope with the vibration and bashing they get mounted in a bass speaker cab!

Hello All,

I currently have have some W-Audio PSR 12A 350rms Active speakers x4... I have a 10 channel mixer and 24 channel mixer... plus two U6 Pulse Flight Cases full up with equipment like: feedback destoryer, CD player, DI Box, Gooselights, EQ, DB meter, Virtualiser etc, I have another two U4 cases with a CD player in and wireless mics stacks (8 mics). So now you have an idea of what I have to carry round.

venue size... erm... I dont know sometimes 200 to 900 people?

So now what is actaully better passive subs or active... the type of sub is a 600w W-Audio for active or another W-audio for passive but ive look at the active but im not sure... it would make linking them from speakers easy but I ahve about 5 Sub outputs 4 from my mixer and 1 from the EQ

Can anyone help? Btw I rarely user the equipment I do friends bands now and then I ahev my own team and I berogn them in to work to help with shows. I just enjoy the hobby of sound but I hope to do bigger things one day!

Cheers

James

...........but I ahve about 5 Sub outputs 4 from my mixer and 1 from the EQ

The sub outs on your mixer are probably Sub Group outputs. You would not normally use these to run a sub bass speaker from. The output from your eq may be usable, but a proper crossover would be better.

Most powered subs have a crossover built in, so that may be your best option, especially as your tops are powered already.

...........but I ahve about 5 Sub outputs 4 from my mixer and 1 from the EQ

The sub outs on your mixer are probably Sub Group outputs. You would not normally use these to run a sub bass speaker from. The output from your eq may be usable, but a proper crossover would be better.

Most powered subs have a crossover built in, so that may be your best option, especially as your tops are powered already.

Ahh right sorry im not all great in sound knowledge yet... So for my fkt active is besta nd just run a link XLR cable from the speakers to the subs? or would you recommend getting a crossover? just my friend said that their is no point in having a crossover if you ahev full ranged EQ? is that actaully true? :|

Thanks for the help!

Archived