Lodestar Chains

ceejm1

Just throwing this one out there in case anyone can help...

I've got a job coming up requiring a HOL of 35/40m. I've got a stock of Standard Model L 1 ton Lodestars here fitted with 25m chains and wondered if anyone knew of anyone willing to hire 4 chains only in excess of 35m? Would obviously need bags to go with them.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Chains would be needed from 19th to 24th November.

Cheers

James

No it's not on your profile....

If you need 35 meters could you get away with a 10 meter 'stinger' getting it up to the 35 meters that you need??

If that will do (removed) have them. (x4). Moderation: No they don't - they've asked us to remove this

Also if you want to trace really long chains then give 'Lift Turn Move' UK's biggest supplier (they are just outside Liverpool) they will tell you if they have a hire stock. Or, they will tell you who has them as they have their client list. 'phone 0151 649 0467

Where's this going as even in The Playhouse etc you can get away with 25 meter chains...even Berkenhead Arena!!

Good Luck anyway hope this helps..

Brian :)

Or last port of call Scott Munro in Glasgow.....

I think you will seriously struggle to find someone who will hire you just the chain for a number of reasons, for a start if they remove the chain then the motor they've removed it from is therefore useless so why hire you the chain cheaper.

Like lamptramp suggests do you actually need to move the load 35-40m or can you not just put a stinger/drift in above the motor?

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

A stinger is an option, job has been done this way previously, but as we're flying under the edge of a stadium roof it would be a bonus to get the trusses as high and out of the elements as possible.

I guessed chain only hire might be a bit of a long shot, though my reasoning was that someone might have spare long chains for occasional long lifts rather than leaving a motor chainless.

BTW, I had already spoken to John Jones at LTM who mentioned that they'd contemplated a chain hire service but never got round to it...

Cheers

James

[Daft Thought Alert!]

Could you hang one hoist below a second?

I realise that this would double the number of hoists, control channels and cabling requirements, but it might solve the problem in an unorthadox way.

[/Daft Thought Alert]

Yes, had pondered that... but we're then into the realms of hauling 45m of chain plus the hoist body itself and 10m of loom which is starting to get somewhat unreasonable for the lad on the beam!

If I can't get longer chains then stingers it'll have to be!

Cheers

James

Is this basically a question of budget?

I have no idea who might hire you the chains only, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to dry-hire some 1t motors with 30m+ chains. No doubt you would need to bring them up from down South.

Companies who very occasionally need a very high HOL would be pretty unlikely to keep extra long chains for the purpose in my experience. Its easier for infrequent use to 'borrow' the chain (and its bag) from a 2t hoist. (Remember, a 25m HOL 2t Lodestar is fitted with a 50m chain.) Obviously there is a bit of work involved in fitting and re-fitting the chains, swapping hooks etc., that has to be done right.

There are other ways you could go about piggy-backing hoists or lifting in stages to achieve a trim height beyond the chain length of any single hoist in the system (with no need to haul hoist bodies by hand), but I wouldn't really consider them justifiable solely as a cost saving measure (unless the difference in cost really is eye watering I suppose).

Do you have any plant on the job (such as an access platform capable of reaching the truss at about, say, a 15-20m trim)? If you can safely access your truss at the halfway point, a lift in two stages using your existing 25m hoists would be a fairly straightforward operation, albeit relatively time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived