Voice recognition to follow script?

AndyW69

Does anyone know of any software that could take an input from a desk and follow a script - sort of a virtual assistant.

Andy

Sorry but to follow a performed script is far from current Voice recognition technology is capable of.

I'd love that.

I almost always have my script on-screen and scroll through it using cursor arrow keys, but a script that scrolled itself would absolutely rock.

Except when the cast do a line-jump. But hey, whe it happenws one get to play hunt-where-we-are now, so maybe the automated thing could do it better, find where you've jumped to and hilight what has been missed.

Yep, I want one.

I've got a 1 week panto coming up with 13 radio mics, 26 music tracks and loads of sfx, I work on my own and need to follow the script to cue the playback and try not to miss the cast entrance lines, thats why it seemed like a good idea, I appreciate the technology isn't there yet, but I see this as a natural extension to show control systems

Andy

ps the company doesn't have a stage manager to call the show

I can see possible applications but WHY.

I believe and someone might be able to correct me if wrong but you can get autocues that "listen" and will follow words.

I assume you could then link words with a controller of some form so make cues on a digi desk.

Sorry - and feel free to call me a dinosaur - but I really cannot see any feasible reliable use for such a thing. There are just too many variables such as performers at the minimum missing or adding words to the lines as wot they were wrote (© Ernie Wise) to at worst an actor completely ad-libbing - rife in comedy/panto shows or indeed if a performer loses their own place and makes up something in an effort to get back on track.

Add in interference from music tracks/bands etc and audience reactions (which can vary drastically from show to show) and I honestly can't see anything like this ever working.

And frankly I don't believe I'd want it to. Even using it to auto-roll a script removes another layer of human interaction with the show.

Another dinosaur here--and even if I wanted such a system I, too, am sceptical that it could work with all the ad libbing that goes on in a typical panto.

However, I have to say that, after a few rehearsals, I generally know the show well enough that the script is just there as an aide memoire--I'm more likely to use it to flip ahead a page or two to check the NEXT cue than to read it slavishly when actually doing a cue. Working this way would sort of negate the "auto follow" anyway.

Bob

If you have a DSM with nothing else to do apart from follow the script (unlikely) then you COULD take the middle ground - have them follow the script on the computer by scrolling down. Then split the VGA output to whoever wants it. Then everyone gets a feed of the current page. Then it's up to one person, who knows the show well, to follow and decide where to go if (when) an actor screws up.

However, I don't see a real advantage. I too jump ahead in the script to find my next cue frequently, then perhaps move forward half a page and pick a line or selection of lines during which I need to "wake up" and prepare for the cue. To not be able to scroll ahead would be a real pain, and if your DSM looses their place, the entire show goes to pieces, rather than one department.

Stick to a paper script, highlighter pens and postit notes!

One of the auto cue systems on the Market can auto track the script useing voice reconition

Presumably this is targeting TV studios though, where a well spoken presenter will clearly read word for word what's on the script in a quiet environment.

That I could believe. In a theatre environment though, I can't see any automated solution working well.

Archived