PVC piping used for nightclub projections

Jamtastic3

Hi BR.

I'm thinking about making some projection screens using PVC piping as the frames above a dancefloor. It's lightweight, flexible and easy to make shapes out of. They would probably be rigged for quite a while. I'm just wondering in terms of health and safety if there is anything to think about in terms of materials used. The screen material would be fire retarded but what if I get pulled up about the PVC piping?

Cheers!

Hi BR.

I'm thinking about making some projection screens using PVC piping as the frames above a dancefloor. It's lightweight, flexible and easy to make shapes out of. They would probably be rigged for quite a while. I'm just wondering in terms of health and safety if there is anything to think about in terms of materials used. The screen material would be fire retarded but what if I get pulled up about the PVC piping?

Cheers!

How would it compare to PVC conduit on the ceiling above the dancefloor? It wouldnt really! I recon you would be fine. Besides, if the room bursts into flames, no one generally hangs about!

I know ignorance is often bliss but I think I have a point!

Dunc

Just a thought, as nic says, indeed it will be quite bendy. Have you considered using unistrut to make the frames? You can get corner brackets to pretty much make and shape or size you want. It is galvanised steel and will be 100 times stronger than pvc piping.

HTH

Dunc

Have you considered using unistrut to make the frames? It is galvanised steel and will be 100 times stronger than pvc piping.

It'll also be many times heavier, so worth keeping that in mind with regard to how it's hung, and lifted into position etc.

Something just seems wrong with PVC pipe over a dancefloor, if it ignites it probably isn`t self extinguishing, heat will also make it lose its plasticiser over time and it might turn brittle.

Sure can get some grades of FR GRP or carbon fibre rod, like the stuff used for kite spars, is Windthings still along the road?

Archived