wingnut spanner

dulcie_buffey

hi all, when working on lights I find a wingnut spanner incredably useful!!! however im forever borrowing one off people as I aint got one... does anyone know the best place to get one online??? :unsure:

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

also looking for a rigging helmet as im sick to death of the bog standard hard hats as they create a big problem for me because ive got big dreadlocks I cant fit them on my head without them always falling off! anyone know a good website to buy a riggers hard hat?

Although if used for tightening wing nuts these things are the devil's tool!!

The ONLY use for a wingnut spanner is for un-doing nuts that have been over-tightened by over-zealous hands who don't know any better.

(Not the first time this has been ranted over on the BR, but bet it won't be the last!!)

I will leave the discussions regarding the use of these tools as you appear to already be a 'believer'

Used lighting used to sell them but no more, they are available direct from www.wingnutspanner.co.uk @£12 each +P&P

EDIT:

Beaten to it buy not just one but two posters. Damm

Welcome to the Blue room by the way. :unsure: You will find a huge archive of previous forum topics here, mostly found, in a roundabout way using the 'search' function near the top of the page. Have a look through for previous topics on teh Wingnut spanner and you will see why a few of us believe them to be the tool of the Devil.

Guest lightnix

I thought that the whole point of wingnuts, was that they were only supposed to be finger-tight and not done up to the point, where you need superheroic strength to loosen them ;)

Or is that an old-fashioned view? :unsure:

that is true Nick, and people should learn it.

on a recent gig, one of the guys I was working with seemed to think it was necessary to tighten the legs on all 16 or so panels of alideck with his wingnut spanner, completely ignoring the fact that once the deck was flat, the legs are held in by the weight of the deck above them, so they really don't need to be tight. (not even mentioning the fact he dented several of the legs by overtightening).

he left with the lx and sound equipment before the deck was down, but was kind enough to leave us his spanner to undo them. still took us over an hour, and sometimes a hammer, to get them all undone.

needless to say, his wingnut spanner found its way into a nearby bush before we left...

While I own a wingnut spanner from the website listed above, we recently purchased another model from Rope Assemblies which I reckon is far superior.

Still got a lanyard attached point, can handle various sizes of standard width bolt heads, has one bit to help remove split pins and comes with an all important bottle cap opener.

£15 a pop but I do reckon you get more for your money - we were able to it engraved at no extra cost (though it was part of a much larger order ...)

Have a look for yourself at:

http://ropeassemblies.co.uk/product.asp?id=6&ref=4

And yes, they are for undoing wingnuts/bolts only.

I thought that the whole point of wingnuts, was that they were only supposed to be finger-tight and not done up to the point, where you need superheroic strength to loosen them :mellow:

Or is that an old-fashioned view? ;)

...unless perching fixtures on top of truss, this for me is the whole point of a wingnut spanner...

Leggy.

...unless perching fixtures on top of truss, this for me is the whole point of a wingnut spanner...

Well, that's not really what hook clamps are designed for - you should really be using half couplers or other technology to do this...

Obviously, however you still need to tighten the wingnuts with a spanner. I never mentioned using hook clamps.

Leggy.

If you are using a half coupler to over rig or anything htat requires more than a finger tight force on the wingnut you should be using a full nut, and then the wing nut is used as a jam-nut only, which again only needs to be finger tight. (in fact most doughty clamps are supplied with the full nut and the wingnut).

The whole point is that a wing nut is not designed or intended to be used beyond finger tight. whatever the intented application. I cannot deny that the wingnut spanner is the right tool, for use AFTER some numpty has over tifgteded a hook clamp, or if it has simply seized onto the bar, but not to tighten them in the first place. I have at least 10 hook clamps permanently jammed onto our school studio grid as the 'wings' have been sheared off the bolt and it is now siezed solid and useless.

to be honest, any half coupler that I have seen that has been done up as finger tight is rigid enough for most applications, when you work out the forces involved on the clamped bar after it has been done up just to finger tight it's more than enough. but each to their own. Just remined me never to hire you any truss, I like the tube to stay circular. ;)

As a side note something I saw on another members sig* Just because you can does not mean that you should

(*sorry I can't remember whose sig it is.)

At least anything done up with a wingnut spanner can, if necessary, be undone with pliers and a strong grip. For permanently attaching a hook clamp, you need a wingnut podger!! Yes, really. I've seen a podger that had been adapted to fit wingnuts by having two slots cut into its socket. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time...

Archived