Reccomendations fo a CD player

Dmills

Hi all,

having just been stuffed good and proper by the fact that my otherwise perfectly respectable NAD will not reliably handle CDR disks (Murphy dictates that it works perfectly in sound check then fails during the real deal), I am shopping for something that will handle recordable disks with excellent reliability.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Dennon? HHB? Sony?

Auto pause is a must and something that will reliably stay cued up for a while would be nice, a bonus would be a fast read of the TOC and direct access buttons. Resistance to skipping would also be good.

Anyone have something that just bloody works?

Regards, Dan.

Depends on your budget but have a look at the denon dn 4000/4500. its a twin so if using multiple discs you can cue em up, on the down side its more rack space. But very reliable & wont skip even if you bounce it all over the plaice....instead of direct access buttons it has a dial to go through the tracks, has cd text. These things evan say on the box that they will read cdrs/mp3s & most other formats.

ron

when having multi CD shows I like having the show running off my laptop and import all the CD's in to iTunes, the added advantage is when you have a cue like start the track when the performer is half way up the rope you can add it as a the track title etc etc.

then of course, have the CD's handy for when (as murphy decides) the laptop dies!

Peter

You could consider something like this :

CORTEX HDC-1000 USB Media player - or for a bit more cash -

CORTEX HDC-3000 USB Media player

(worth a look on Ebay for these at the moment as 'Why buy new' is selling a bunch of them - I know 'cos I've just bought one! ;) )

If you want to play CDs or CD-Rs, just plug in a USB CD drive - however, you would almost certainly be happier just putting your material on a USB stick or a USB HDD - or just plug in an Ipod.

The great thing about these is that you have full access to your audio material with no need for a laptop - handy if you want to set up cue points in the middle of a track.

The 'orange book' standard which defines how CDR's are burned (either by computer or CD recorder) is basically compatible with the 'red book' standard which is the original Philips-Sony CD specification. That is to say, any machine that is 'red book' (ie any CD player) should also play 'orange book' CD's reliably. If they dont, then the CD player in question doesnt comply to 'red book' either. It's analogous to the european '230V' mains and the UK '240V'. One encompasses the other.

With the widespread use of PC's and a million CD writer drives and software applications to write audio CD's, its inevitable that the 'orange book' CD spec will be deviated from occasionally.

In my experience, the type of CD player that refuses to reliably play 'orange book' or 'cdr' discs are as follows;

1. CD players that have aged

2. CD players that dont (by design or fault) comply to 'red' book' and hence 'orange book' standards. (they may still play red book CD's perfectly).

3. 'DJ' style pro cd players that 'load' the track into memory first before playing, to allow 'scratching' or similar effects.

Again, in my vast experience of all types of CD player (as a service engineer of pro-audio) I would recommend a Pioneer or Denon or Tascam or Sony (for quality's sake) but not ANY type that has digital effects for DJ scratching..these often reject less than perfect discs.

So, for a quick model rundown, try Denon DN1800F, DN2000, DN2100, DN2500,DNC620, DN950 series (and many more) and for Pioneer try CDJ500 series, CMX5000, Tascam try CD601 etc All these have instant start, autocue-to-audio and no daft effects that need to buffer error-free data before they'll play on cue.

There are many others of course but I can't write an essay!

Don't forget that many people are completely incapable of burning a disc that will play in any player...

I've had plenty of those over the years - supermarket own brand discs burnt at 52x speed using hacked software in a 99p writer. I use SCS for all my playback but have been given some discs that wouldn't even rip in to the computer let alone play on a normal player. It's not always the player that's at fault.

It's rather odd, but my own experience is that the various Tascam, Teac, Sony and the like that I've used can be quite picky about which CDRs they play. But the budget Numark plays naff discs without much complaint. And the £10 portable with the minuscule screen will play anything at all. That's just me, and I wouldn't pretend it's anything more than coincidence - but it's happened often enough to mean that I make a habit of taking the el-cheapo player whenever I need a backup!

• 4 weeks later...
It's rather odd, but my own experience is that the various Tascam, Teac, Sony and the like that I've used can be quite picky about which CDRs they play. But the budget Numark plays naff discs without much complaint. And the £10 portable with the minuscule screen will play anything at all. That's just me, and I wouldn't pretend it's anything more than coincidence - but it's happened often enough to mean that I make a habit of taking the el-cheapo player whenever I need a backup!

I find the same applies with dvd players and DVD/Rs buy the cheapest tesco dvd player and you'll be better off. It will play almost any disc or format whereas top end players are pricey and offer svcd playback for a pricier model. and I wouldn't mind but both the models have the same technology but they mung the model below to make you pay more, when a simple code tapped into the DVDs handset will de-mung their greedy ethics.

Actually I'd agree that the cheaper the CD player the more variety of discs it will play...

For this reason I've specced Numarks for our dance studios, as students often bring cds burnt on cheap discs as a data cd full of mp3s that then seem to have been used as coffee coasters, butter spreaders and left in a bag of sand for a week.

None of the tascams at work will play MP3 or WMA cds, or have shock protection. The numark has both and is cheaper, and also has big easy to find buttons.

Wasn't a hard decision.

Archived