Reccomendations fo a CD player

Dmills

I think the problem here is often that when CD (And DVD) players are manufactured, they are compatible with all existing codecs etc. But as time marches on, computer sofware changes extremely rapidly, and people bring you discs that your machine just won't recognise. I am getting to the stage now where I bin DVD players annually, because the problems seem much worse with them.

That said, so far (touch wood) I haven't found anything I couldn't play on our Tascam MD-CD1, but it is pretty new!

Not to put you down, but I've heard some terrible reviews on that unit... :)

see here

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Well, reading these reviews, there is one person moaning that the fast dub from CD to MD inserts gaps between tracks. That's the extent of the 'terrible reviews'!

Firstly, he's wrong that you cannot change this, as someone who has actually read the manual corrects him later, secondly, it is extremely useful that it does this in my opinion, because I want tracks separated for cueing purposes.

It's a very good unit, and so-far does everything I need it to do. It does have a few quirks, which will be more pronounced to Sony MD owners, because the language of controls is different to Sony's and the controls operate differently. The only annoyance I have found so far, which has caught us out once, is that if the CD is paused or cued up, the MD doesn't play out on the 'common' output when you press play. I can see why, but it can catch you out during a show if you're not careful. I haven't yet tried to see if it still doesn't output noise on the dedicated outputs, I would imagine not, but I must try it and see. It is, however, streets ahead of any other Tascam MD for running a show, having auto-pause & auto-cue settings on both CD & MD. It is also really useful to have both sources in one unit, and is really the only MD around new anyway.

Ok I'm sold... :)

I've got to admit, when I first looked at the unit I thought It's a must have, as I use a Numark CDN 35 Dual CD and Numark DM950 DJ Mixer for example; Playing an underscore battle scene on CD1 and bringing in random explosions on CD2. I also have Sony MDS-JB920 Mini Disc player also. But with this unit I thought well this is handy as it's less to carry and and hopefully can play different media simultaneously and solves the problem of different media to work with all in one...But, am I right in saying the Tascam can only output one side at a time MD or CD?

We have a CDN25. It is quite particular about what burnt discs it will play. I've had factory "backing tracks" discs that would not play in it either. I've had burnt discs that my computer would not play - but they played in a cheap portable.

I have a fair range of bits and bobs really. For the DJ sort of stuff I have a DN1800F, a 2000, and 4 650's (2 of which I need to sort out for repair but keep failing to do anything about it). They all seem to do the trick.

I have a couple of the 1u Sony ones though they're getting on a bit now and they've been known to refuse a couple of discs recently. I'm not sure how readily available parts are. I've also got a couple of the 1u Tascam ones. They seem to read anything you throw at them but they're incredibly slow to read a CD when you put it in and equally as slow to play a track when you hit... play. If I had a choice it'd be solid state playback everytime on a card or usb stick, I'm going to be giving the new units CPC are kicking out a try in the next couple of weeks. It's no good if you're given a CD on the day but if you have the material before hand you can get it onto a reliable media (and have a backup on cd if necessary).

The MDCD1's are useful bits of kit but, 1 power supply, 1 ... various other things is a bit too much of a risk IMO. If I have alot of CD material on a job I at least try to have 2, even if ones a laptop CD drive.

For REALLY critical things, I'll have 2 sources playing in as close to sync as possible with one muted. Better to have a 50ms jump in the track than lose it altogether.

I have a fair range of bits and bobs really. For the DJ sort of stuff I have a DN1800F, a 2000, and 4 650's (2 of which I need to sort out for repair but keep failing to do anything about it). They all seem to do the trick.

I have a couple of the 1u Sony ones though they're getting on a bit now and they've been known to refuse a couple of discs recently. I'm not sure how readily available parts are. I've also got a couple of the 1u Tascam ones. They seem to read anything you throw at them but they're incredibly slow to read a CD when you put it in and equally as slow to play a track when you hit... play. If I had a choice it'd be solid state playback everytime on a card or usb stick, I'm going to be giving the new units CPC are kicking out a try in the next couple of weeks. It's no good if you're given a CD on the day but if you have the material before hand you can get it onto a reliable media (and have a backup on cd if necessary).

The MDCD1's are useful bits of kit but, 1 power supply, 1 ... various other things is a bit too much of a risk IMO. If I have alot of CD material on a job I at least try to have 2, even if ones a laptop CD drive.

For REALLY critical things, I'll have 2 sources playing in as close to sync as possible with one muted. Better to have a 50ms jump in the track than lose it altogether.

Wow!!...You must really have fast reaction times to bring in a muted sync track in 50ms in the middle of a defective SFX/device etc... :)

Do you hang over the mute and play buttons throughout the show?... :)

... am I right in saying the Tascam can only output one side at a time MD or CD?

The MD-CD1 has 5 outputs; dedicated CD, dedicated MD, common, digital and then headphones on the front with 3-way selector switch (MD,CD or Common). I'm 99% sure that both the dedicated outputs will play/cue at the same time but now you have asked the question I can't actually remember having both queued. I probably can't remember because it just worked so I never thought much of it but I'll have a play next time I use that rack. Very good unit though, it seemed a lot of money when I bought it but it is worth every penny IMO.

I was referring to the sync not the time it takes to wave your hands in the air going ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH muting the wrong track, un muting it again and then fading the correct ones in and out. If you hit 2 plays at the same time.

LMAO!!...So true Rob. I remember working with this great director who was a real pro, who decided HE would project an image from a WinXp laptop onto a backdrop at the end of the play. It was a WWII play that went very smoothly to a full house. And right at the end the lights faded to a very sombre moment...BANG!!! in comes the XP start up theme with the giant logo on the backdrop...Ha! ha! ha! you should have seen the sheer look of horror and panic in his face...Priceless

... am I right in saying the Tascam can only output one side at a time MD or CD?

The MD-CD1 has 5 outputs; dedicated CD, dedicated MD, common, digital and then headphones on the front with 3-way selector switch (MD,CD or Common). I'm 99% sure that both the dedicated outputs will play/cue at the same time but now you have asked the question I can't actually remember having both queued. I probably can't remember because it just worked so I never thought much of it but I'll have a play next time I use that rack. Very good unit though, it seemed a lot of money when I bought it but it is worth every penny IMO.

Just been informed this is the case when using the common out, but using the dedicated MD & CD1 outs the signal can play simultaneously...Good news!

• 3 months later...

A while since this topic was posted to. Now in the market for a replacement for a Sony Pro CD player. Anyone know of any deals around or recommend current models? As before it must cope with long cue pause and with a variety of professional and amateur recordings.

Thanks.

Wiz

Archived