flexible IEC extensions?

henryb_y_o_b

You could always sit down and make some using Rubber flex H07 cable. Go to an electrical wholesalers and buy some 1mm 3 core rubber H07 cable, and some 10A iec ends (you can get them form CPC etc). doesnt take to mins, and you left with a cable for life (if you treat it right). We use them in our AV Hire dept for projectors etc.

If you only want one or two, then making them yourself is reasonable, it is however very irksome if any qauntity are required.

Pat testing would be prudent for new leads whether purtchased or made on site.

You can buy IEC leads made from a better quality cable which haven't been shipped all the way from the Far East inside a container on the deck of a ship which has been temperature cycled from -20 to +40 repeatedly whilst being bent into a tight hank. Don't expect to get them for 90p though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

You can buy IEC leads made from a better quality cable which haven't been shipped all the way from the Far East inside a container on the deck of a ship which has been temperature cycled from -20 to +40 repeatedly whilst being bent into a tight hank. Don't expect to get them for 90p though.

Dragging up a rather mundane topic, but can anyone recommend anything like the above?

We're switching to active FOH and monitoring, so are going to have more IEC all around stage, and whilst I could put together HO7 IEC leads with permaplugs and rewireable connectors, I certainly wouldn't be opposed it buying them if anyone knows of moulded HO7 leads.

CPC and others did recently stock some leads with DMX/Audio and mains in one sheath, ideal for active PA. Read the connector gender carefully as mains with DMX has the wrong connector gender for mains with audio.

Terralec and no doubt others supply a nice soft cable that has a DMX and mains each sheathed inside an outer sheath -really makes nice leads for active PA but it's NOT cheap even by the reel.

I'm not really looking for combined to be honest as the power and audio won't be coming from the same place- although I might think about a couple of those for smarter jobs it's more likely we'll just need short-ish HO7/nicer than PVC iec leads just to go from our 13A drops into active boxes

...if anyone knows of moulded HO7 leads.

I don't think I've ever come across moulded HO7, just nice UK made HO5.

TBH, I'd be inclined to make them myself. Treat yourself to a bootlace ferrule crimp tool and some ferrules; buy some decent IECs (see posts here), buy some of your favourite HO7 and put the kettle on.

A top tip is to copy the connector manufacturer's cable stripping diagram onto a piece of MDF, or print it at 1:1 and laminate it, so you have a template.

I do have a bootlace ferrule crimp actually as I had a do a load of strange cables for cricket bowling machines that were 4G2.5 doubled up to give 2x2.5 into a 16A connector, so it was a bit of a squeeze... (12V)

I had a look for the old IEC topic but I couldn't find it specifically, I have a code for male IEC rewireable but does Bulgin PX0587 have proper screw terminals or just those nasty round ones?

Archived