Stairville 200 Strobes

Daveman

I have been using these for a couple of years, and must admit that I have never considered the sync issue. The advantage they have over the 1500 model is that they have analogue in, as well as DMX. If you want to just set speed and brightness, use the DMX functions. For a precisely timed single flash, use the analogue input with a 10v trigger voltage - this is where a desk such as the Pulsar Masterpiece wins out, as it has both DMX and analogue outputs. You could just use a separate analogue strobe controller, but that won't then synchronise with your other DMX devices.

So - I can't answer your question directly but can certainly say that these are good value.

Hmmm, I guess I could use something to convert DMX data into a 10v trigger voltage. I do need very precisely timed single flashes rather than a repeating effect. This is for a small lighting set for a band, so a larger strobe than 200W would seem like overkill.

Do you have an email address for this person?

Can't find any contact info on the web site .

I was just about to buy a Stairville 1500W strobe to use for single flahes.

Cheers

Gerry

Can I ask what the OP's message actually means?

I bought 2 of these strobes (200's) a couple of years ago and were great up until a year later when either unit would completely knock out a 16A trip at any time, even when the units weren't triggered. Had to stop using them for this reason. I still have them but don't want to rig them because I know they might fuse half my rig!

Can I ask what the OP's message actually means?

Using an A3K as example, these will fire its first flash immediately when intensity increases from zero. The clock for a given flash rate is reset from that point. This way, flashing a cue will always trigger a synchronised strobe flash. But in the Stairville 1500's the rate timer runs in the background and does not reset meaning you cannot achieve synchronised flashes on demand from a console, which is very limiting.

OK, moving on from my original question, has anyone had any success with programming a microcontroller with the strobe mod firmware? It seems like the best way to go but I can't get in touch with the guy to ask if he's selling pre-programmed chips.

OK, moving on from my original question, has anyone had any success with programming a microcontroller with the strobe mod firmware? It seems like the best way to go but I can't get in touch with the guy to ask if he's selling pre-programmed chips.

I've also emailed him without any reply ;)

I don't have the means to programme any chips, so I also need to buy some ready programmed.

Cheers

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old topic, but after finally getting some programmed chips and buying some Stairville PS1500s, this mod clearly isn't compatible with them as there is no space for a 40-pin chip on the board. D'oh! So anyone wishing to upgrade their Stairville strobes, THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE.

I now have two programmed strobe mod chips for sale if anyone needs them.

Looks like stairville have changed the OEM model of their 1500w DMX strobe. It used to be the same basic casing as their 2700 non DMX strobe. I know, I have 3 sucessfully converted!

How much for the mod chips? PM if you'd rather

Archived