Chilli house lights ... HELP

justcallmeh

I have been working as a schools technician for the last year coming from a good technical background but have been really struggling with the chilli system that controls our house lights. I have phoned the people that installed it a number of times (and I cannot understand a lot of technical jargon) and looked online for simple instructions ... to no avail! Has anybody got any advice for me?

Also, my boss has been asking whether the stage lights can be controled by the chilli system so that he can use it in lessons. I have no clue whether this is possible or not ... again, advice would be a great help!

Thank you in advance - I hope there is someone out there that can help me!

Hi.

Whilst I don't know the Chilli dimmers personally, I did look at them for our install a few years ago.

Assuming you're talking of the Zero 88 Chilli racks, then yes, they are most certainly capable of running theatre lighting. As I recall they were a standard 10A per channel wal-mounted dimmer rack.

The question is, however, what do you have controlling them at the moment? Do you have a theatre desk attached to them (by a 5-pin XLR cable) or a small architectural style mini-controller? I seem to recall that there were some dedicated house-light controllers available.

The latter would not really be suitable for a stage type use.

More information is required methinks...

This sounds remotely similar to our set up, with what information we have here.

We have 96 ways of Chilli dimming (not the junior rack sized version) This is normally controlled via our front of house desk on a 1 to 1 patch on universe one. Also controlled by this are two little chilli boxes, which are an 8 button box (from memory, im away at the minute) with scenes 1-6, All off, and a 7-12 select. These are wired together, so whatever happens on one box, happens on the other.(one in the control room, one in the auditorium) these need to be turned to All Off, which then passes DMX control to the lighting desk for show operation.

Hth

Dunc

This sounds remotely similar to our set up, with what information we have here.

We have 96 ways of Chilli dimming (not the junior rack sized version) This is normally controlled via our front of house desk on a 1 to 1 patch on universe one. Also controlled by this are two little chilli boxes, which are an 8 button box (from memory, im away at the minute) with scenes 1-6, All off, and a 7-12 select. These are wired together, so whatever happens on one box, happens on the other.(one in the control room, one in the auditorium) these need to be turned to All Off, which then passes DMX control to the lighting desk for show operation.

Hth

Dunc

Chilli Dimmers can be controlled either using DMX (commonly found on the 5 pin connectors that Ynot mentioned) or using ChilliNet (which is what Dunc is refering to).

It is possible to set up scenes that can then be replayed using push button outstations that are all linked using Cat5 Cabling.

I'm sure we could help you more if there was a location in your profile. We may be able to come and see you ourselves or recommend somebody locally who can explain this and help you understand in person, on site rather than over the phone or via email.

HTH

Glyn

Hi

It is possible to do many things with the Chilli system.

If you would like to call us on 01633 838088 we will be happy to walk you through the system and what it can do.

Basically you can program the dimmers off the user interface and select channels to include in memories. These memories are then replayed using the wall panels. In many schools the system is used exactly as your boss is requesting. We will have memories, where for instance the lighting for an assembly which mixes house lights and stage lights, are triggered from a wall panel. It means it is possible to do rehearsals etc on a stage with a basic setting using the stage lights without having to have a technician present or get the lighting desk out.

Look forward to your call.

There's a couple of things that might stop you using them as stage lighting dimmers.

How many channels have you got? The easiest way of checking that would be to open the door(s) on the dimmers, and counting how many breakers you see in there. If you've only got a single four-channel dimmer, then you're not going to control an awful lot of stage lighting off it.

Also, what's on the other end of the dimmers? If they're wired into some sort of sockets (on lighting bars, or a patch panel somewhere) then you're in luck. If it goes off and is wired directly into your house lights, then of course that'll cause you issues.

Archived