secondary school lighting

tbexon

Technically, nothing needs to be PAT tested, rather it needs to be safe and maintained in accordance with the relevant legislation (Health & Safety, Electricity at work etc) PAT testing is a recognised method to perform some basic functionality and safety checks with a recognised code of practice in the application of the tests, their frequency and interpretation of the results. It is not a magic bullet though and should be applied as part of routine maintenance by a competent person (Knowing how to use the machine is not a demonstration of competence) to ensure the safety of the item. Unless there is some reason why it would be problematic in performing the tests on them, then PAT testing would be the most straight forward method to test them as part of their maintenance.

Not wishing to sound at all condescending, your profile lists you as a student, so I also mention that it is not your responsibility to test the equipment. However the code of practice recommends the Combined inspection and testing interval to be 12 months in schools, so if you see one that has exceeded this time since the last test, then you would be advised to mention it to the person who is responsible.

exactly I advised them to pat test the lights and now there telling me that someone is telling them they don't have to. and I can't exactly get into a arguement because then there is no chance of me every getting a lighting gig there ever again! ( I work as almost freelance just not paid as I am a student)

Guest lightnix
...I can't exactly get into a arguement because then there is no chance of me every getting a lighting gig there ever again!

Click me to read a recent, related thread.

...( I work as almost freelance just not paid as I am a student)

What you really mean, is that you're a volunteer. AFAIK there's no such thing as "almost freelance".

exactly I advised them to pat test the lights and now there telling me that someone is telling them they don't have to. and I can't exactly get into a arguement because then there is no chance of me every getting a lighting gig there ever again! ( I work as almost freelance just not paid as I am a student)
As Paul says, don't get involved. If the school own this (or indeed any electrical kit) then it is up to them to maintain it in a proper manner - and that manner is to an extent up to them to decide upon.

However, if you felt strongly about the issue, and felt, maybe, that there might be something amiss with one or more lanterns you're being asked to use, then there is still not need to have an argument of any sort - simply make the observation and pass it on to the school rep you're dealing with (teacher/technician/head etc). If you suspect a serious fault, then just don't use that piece of kit on that basis, explaining why should you be asked.

Simples.

...( I work as almost freelance just not paid as I am a student)

What you really mean, is that you're a volunteer. AFAIK there's no such thing as "almost freelance".

Absolutely. You're a student at the school, doing unpaid ovluntary work in the theatre there - so you are not even close to being a freelancer.

What this also means is that, despite what you may believe, you have no authority at all when it comes to electrical safety within the school (other than informing those who do, if you happen to come across any equipment or elements of the installation which you think are unsafe and need attention). So as others have said - leave it to those with the experience and authority to make the decisions and do the work.

Absolutely. You're a student at the school, doing unpaid ovluntary work in the theatre there - so you are not even close to being a freelancer.

What this also means is that, despite what you may believe, you have no authority at all when it comes to electrical safety within the school (other than informing those who do, if you happen to come across any equipment or elements of the installation which you think are unsafe and need attention). So as others have said - leave it to those with the experience and authority to make the decisions and do the work.

I except the freelance stuff, I do have to be very nice when asking,

So as others have said - leave it to those with the experience and authority to make the decisions and do the work.

that's the point the 'technician' for the school is predominately employed down in music sorting out there music software and setting up three mics and a piano each morning. they are all employed for no more than a year and they are all ex music technology students (so they have just finished there A levels and are doing a gap year)they are generally decent sound technicians but the only thing they know about lighting is what one student, who convinced the music head to buy the moving heads, teaches them about it which equates to turning them on and using the basics of the software. the particular student who teaches these technicians is currently studing nursing (but I am not critzising him! just making a observation. the point is that there is no one with the

experience and authority to make the decisions and do the work.

anyway I just wanted to know an answer I will not get involved it's there funeral. however what I will push until I get an answer on whether anyone has actually checked or replaced the bulbs in the moving heads because (unless I am mistaken) they are ark bulbs full of mercury which I know for a fact no one was aware of and with a big show coming up it would just be nice if someone would go up a ladder and check the hours left

Years ago, we really did have glass globes that contained mercury. Very pretty they were when in use as rectifiers. The stuff inside was pretty nasty stuff, and although then we spent time in physics lessons at school, pinging it across the desks, nowadays we appreciate the stuff is quite unpleasant to be around. Discharge lamps do indeed have mercury vapour in them, but this is a very common thing, and think about it? If it was dangerous the EU or our own government would have banned them years ago. There's no need to get wound up by things like this - it really isn't important.

Having a look at the hour counter makes sense, but if your technicians are useless, then how will you know they reset the counters when the last lamp was installed?

If your school have low skill base technicians, then this is even more reason to keep out of it.

By the way - do check your SPAG it lets you down in places.

Paul

Unless there's something specifically dangerous you've seen - ie. a damaged power cord - then there's nothing to worry about. Moving heads might fail through neglect but I've never seen one become dangerous. If a lamp explodes then almost certainly the worst that will happen is damage to some optics, which will be the schools cost to repair, but even then not the end of the world.

I'm just going to leave it to the show then we'll just mention it to who ever we convince to shift some lights for us (obviously we can't go up :) ) to have a quick look at the timers because at the very least I don't want those lights to be damaged because otherwise the show is going to go downhill (and also there will be very few lighting opportunities for me and my friend in the future)

I'm just going to leave it to the show then we'll just mention it to who ever we convince to shift some lights for us (obviously we can't go up :) ) to have a quick look at the timers because at the very least I don't want those lights to be damaged because otherwise the show is going to go downhill (and also there will be very few lighting opportunities for me and my friend in the future)

It's not that obvious you can't go up! Have a read of some of the 'working at height' type posts involving students and you'll find it's different everywhere......

My suggestion (as someone who works in a school) is to contact the Head with any concerns you may have. Ultimately, the responsibility is his/hers. If they decide to act upon your concerns and no-one in school can deal with it, then they will/should employ the services of a professional to address those concerns.

That's how it's supposed to work anyway!

Good Luck ;)

As others post, the moving lights almost certainly should be PAT tested, but as a student I would not worry unduly about this.

If you handle or use the lights, it would be prudent to carry out an external inspection for any obvious hazards such as broken or missing parts, damaged supply cable etc.

In practice though moving lights are relatively low risk, though undeniably portable, they are normally used out of reach, and not held whislt in use.

Therefore even in the very unlikely event that an electrical fault develops, it is far less liable to hurt anyone than a similar fault on say a kettle.

Replacing the lamps at the recomended intervals is good practice, but it must be said that many venues run them until failure.

If the lamp explodes at end of life, this may damage the fixture but is most unlikely to hurt anyone.

The mercury in the lamp would escape, which is undesireable as it is toxic. The risks from mercury expousure are long term and cumalative, and therefore the one off breakage of a lamp is of little concern.

If you are that concerned about the movers dying then don't use them, simple enough. Your show will only go downhill as a result of a mover failure if your lighting design relies on the movers. If you know before you start that they may be unreliable then allow for this in your lighting design.

Archived