lighting designers

studentjcm

I am currently in my third year studying drama at Anglia Ruskin university in Cambridge. I'm also beginning work on my dissertation which will be on lighting design. I will be focusing on David Hersey for this but will also use examples of Edward Gordon Craig's work.

I am planning on giving a presentation and writing an essay on how technology has changed and developed over the years.

Are there any lighting designers on here who have been in the industry for a good number of years and have witnessed first hand the technology changing and developing who would be happy to meet for a Q+A or converse over email as I would really like, as part of my dissertation, and also for personal interest, to talk to someone who can tell me, in their own words how their job has changed over the years, keeping up with the developments in lighting design.

Any replies would be appreciated.

x

I am currently in my third year studying drama at Anglia Ruskin university in Cambridge. I'm also beginning work on my dissertation which will be on lighting design. I will be focusing on David Hersey for this but will also use examples of Edward Gordon Craig's work.

I am planning on giving a presentation and writing an essay on how technology has changed and developed over the years.

Are there any lighting designers on here who have been in the industry for a good number of years and have witnessed first hand the technology changing and developing who would be happy to meet for a Q+A or converse over email as I would really like, as part of my dissertation, and also for personal interest, to talk to someone who can tell me, in their own words how their job has changed over the years, keeping up with the developments in lighting design.

Any replies would be appreciated.

x

Hi There, have a Chat with Leigh, the tech manager at the Mumford theatre on campus in cambridge. She may be able to point you in the right direction of some people, and possibly even give you some valuble information herself.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

This one is definitely worth reading and you should really buy it, but it's probably in the library.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1854599968.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Designed by C I Phipps and decorated by Collinson & Locke, the most beautifully fitted theatre in Europe opened its doors on 10th October 1881 with a transfer from the Opera Comique of Gilbert and Sullivan's opera Patience. Built at the instigation if Impresario Richard D'Oyly Carte, who wanted his own theatre in order to stage the works of Gilbert and Sullivan, the Savoy Theatre became famous as the first public building in the world to be lit by Incandescent electric lights and in one way or another it has been blazing ever since.

Linky

Edit: to add quote

Think first theatre electrically lit was Savoy London, going to have to hand bonus point to somone to name the show.

Not sure of the show, but it would have been a Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta.

The installation was done by Siemens.

That'll be 'Patience' then.

From 'The Art of Stage Lighting' by Fred Bentham, chapter 3...

Modern stage lighting could be said to have begun when, in 1881, Richard D'Oyly Carte opened up his new theatre - the Savoy in London - with Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience. The programme announced "This theatre is lighted throughout by electricity."

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

An article appeared in 'Engineering' on 3rd March 1882 describing the Savoy installation; it was later reprinted in Tabs vol 20 issue 2.

Archived