mic upgrade

IA76

Hi

We are after a better quality mic for our 100v PA system. We only use it for vocal stuff. We currently use an Audio Technica MB3K.

What mic would you suggest up to £150 that will improve the audio quality?

Thanks

Whilst not amazing, I've never had much to complain about with the sound quality of MB3Ks when I've used them.

I'd be looking at the other elements of your system.

100V systems can sound good, but many 100V products out there are made cheaply as they're mainly used for vocal paging for announcements and the like. Perhaps post model numbers and pictures of your amp and speakers and we may be able to advise where your money would be best spent for the greatest perceivable audio upgrade.

I'm with Jon on this one. I've installed MB3ks as a cheaper alternative to the ATM33a (or whatever AT call it now). It works quite well. I would be suprised if it is the mic that is the limiting factor in your system, given the tendency for many 100V line components to have poor performance and restricted bandwidth.

What does your system comprise of, and what specific problems have you identified?

Simon

All our PA system is Inter-M.

We don't have any complaints about the quality but we just felt that if there was a way of improving it further by upgrading the mic we would try it!

Inter-M isn't 'bad' per se, but is built to a specification / application / price. A new microphpone may give you better sensitivity, polar pattern, feedback rejection etc. but the overall system quality will be dictated by the mic, amp and speakers and modified by the speaker placement and acoustic of the room.

Simon

.... churches..... and I've even seen one in a concert hall! Think of old buildings of architectural significance, where the speakers are chosen more on aesthetic grounds than acoustic, where there's no possibility of mounting a power amp close by, the cable runs are long and convoluted, and there's no opportunity to run chunky cables for low impedance speakers.

Although I have my favorite vocal mics, without proper EQ even the best is going to disappoint. Nearly all live vocal mics have a huge low mid/upper bass boost (proximity effect), and an upper mid boost (presence peak). Fail to use EQ to compensate for these anomalies, and one will have vocals that are both muddy and strident. See http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/Proximity.jpg

Archived