Pyro and Firework regulations

Chris Adam

Looking for a wee bit of advice:

For one of our events, we are looking at having a small pyro / fireworks show to mark the closing. The problem is that the event ends at 2am and I want to ignite a display (finishing with confetti cannons) at this time.

Now, Pyro regs I know very well for indoor displays, but I have the following questions:

1. is it completely a no-go to set off fireworks at 2am?

2. If not, who would I need to get permissions from?

I'm only talking about one of these 1 box solutions for the fireworks, and two Le Maitre Confetti cartridges so it's not a massive show.

Cheers in advance.

I would say that it would possibly depend on your surroundings. If you are in the country then you may be in a better position to pursuade your local council noise abation officer. However, if you are in a built up area then I would guess that its pretty much going to be a no no, even if you are only looking at just a 5 minute event.

From The Fireworks Regulations 2004...

Prohibition of use of certain fireworks at night

7. - (1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, no person shall use an adult firework during night hours.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit the use of a firework -

(a) during a permitted fireworks night; or

(b) by any person who is employed by a local authority and who uses the firework in question -

(I) for the purposes of putting on a firework display by that local authority; or

(ii) at a national public celebration or a national commemorative event.

(3) In this regulation, "night hours" means the period beginning at 11 pm and ending at 7 am the following day and a "permitted fireworks night" means a period -

(a) beginning at 11 pm on the first day of the Chinese New Year and ending at 1 am the following day;

(b) beginning at 11 pm on 5th November and ending at 12 am the following day;

© beginning at 11 pm on the day of Diwali and ending at 1 am the following day; or

(d) beginning at 11 pm on 31st December and ending at 1 am the following day.

To put it simply - if you're talking about indoor pyro (which I'm not sure whether you are or not - you do specifically mention indoor pyro in your post, but not whether that's what we're talking about in this case), then 2am is fine. If you're talking about fireworks outdoors, forget it.

Indoor pyro is fine at 2am, outdoor fireworks are definitely NOT. Don't bother trying to fudge the definition and use "articles pyrotechnic" as the enforcement authorities may not see it your way.

However there are lots of liquid or gas fueled flame effects which could be made into the show that you want. Confetti by cannon is a pyro effect so not good at 2am but confetti by CO2 cartridge or blower fan is an easy and good effect without infringing the fireworks legislation. Your show could well be possible but NOT outside using fireworks or pyro.

Thanks guys for the responses. Sorry I've taken a while to check back but it's been all go. A good thing I guess.

Brian, I had read that too, but remember seeing a sub section about that not applying in scotland, or something along those lines. I'll need to check again though.

It looks like it's off anyway and we are going to stick to a "start of event" show with confetti. Initially it was going to be both, but this just makes my life a whole lot easier.

AH: found it:

(4) Regulation 7 of these Regulations shall not extend to Scotland.

open to interpretation?

Booooo. A sitting on the fence answer!! ha ha. only kidding.

If we were still looking into it that would be the next step, but that idea has passed and the budget spent elsewhere already.

It is quite an interesting clause though. I might look into it anyway for the future. Being a student union as well as a live music venue, it's the kind of thing the students love. Can anyone on here shed anymore light onto that clause??

There are obvious loopholes in it. I have worked at several public displays, including the council area where the OP was planning the event which was hosted outside of the regulated dates.

If it's GCC - We usually deal with "Ash" from the events team who are reasonably flexible.

Just out of curiosity - Where in the city were you planning it to take place?

If it were in the area around your location (The QMU) I doubt they would be up for it considering the residential area behind the colleges!!

Just out of curiosity - Where in the city were you planning it to take place?

If it were in the area around your location (The QMU) I doubt they would be up for it considering the residential area behind the colleges!!

Yeah, west end glasgow. To be honest, I'd written the idea off completely before I'd even asked on here due to the residential area around the site, but thought it could be worth tapping into some blue room knowledge.

It's one of those things, that it would be something our punters remember if there was a good fireworks display as they were leaving the venue after a night of partying. A bit of an off the wall idea. We just try and keep things fresh and original.

That clause in the fireworks regs is interesting though and I will give GCC a shout to see what the deal is, because if we could do one on another date, we would. As I'd mentioned above, I've allocated the budget elsewhere now, but we run hundered of events throughout the course of the year. Wouldn't want to p1ss anyone off though, so some careful planning would be needed.

It's one of those things, that it would be something our punters remember if there was a good fireworks display as they were leaving the venue after a night of partying. A bit of an off the wall idea. We just try and keep things fresh and original.

That clause in the fireworks regs is interesting though and I will give GCC a shout to see what the deal is, because if we could do one on another date, we would. As I'd mentioned above, I've allocated the budget elsewhere now, but we run hundered of events throughout the course of the year. Wouldn't want to p1ss anyone off though, so some careful planning would be needed.

Being based in Durham, we have a high Student population, We quite often get 3-4am firework displays. Especially in June.

From The Fireworks Regulations 2004...

Prohibition of use of certain fireworks at night

7. - (1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, no person shall use an adult firework during night hours.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit the use of a firework -

(a) during a permitted fireworks night; or

(b) by any person who is employed by a local authority and who uses the firework in question -

(I) for the purposes of putting on a firework display by that local authority; or

(ii) at a national public celebration or a national commemorative event.

Side Note

I have always Like this bit where if you are employed by the Local Authority from Cleaner to Local authority Boss you can set off Fireworks with out Training, experience etc and this applies to CAT 4 mortars etc

if you are employed by the Local Authority from Cleaner to Local authority Boss you can set off Fireworks with out Training, experience etc

Not true. I'm employed by a local authority, working in the electrics department of a council-run theatre. We also do firework displays, and anyone who's firing with us must have at least BPA level 1. So I'm afraid you've been misinformed (as far as this particular local authority is concerned, at least).

Archived