Powered speakers

Jivemaster

I could be looking for a pair of powered speakers. For use with firework shows. Possibly in the region of 1000w per box, likely to be used standing on the grass of a field!

Why do you want powered boxes, Roger?

For the usage you've outlined, they are going to be exposed to the elements and unpredicatbility of the British weather and you've got to get power to them as well as a signal, keep them dry and ensure the amplifier modules don't get too hot in doing so.

With unpowered cabs, a little rain isn't going to be an issue.

Just my 2p.

Tony

Why do you want powered boxes, Roger?

For the usage you've outlined, they are going to be exposed to the elements and unpredicatbility of the British weather and you've got to get power to them as well as a signal, keep them dry and ensure the amplifier modules don't get too hot in doing so.

With unpowered cabs, a little rain isn't going to be an issue.

Just my 2p.

Tony

+1, exactly my thoughts on reading the first post!

We work regularly with one of the firework companies where the PA is used for music over the 'barrage' plus safety announcements. To cut it at this level, we are generally putting in about 15kW. Coverage is also an issue as the crowds can often be spread out and there may be multiple 'zones' to cover. All of our systems are passive with the amps/processing either located in one of our vans or palletted and 'bagged' to protect from any precipitation.

Steve

Or a cheaper product that the RCF T series, what about the QSC K series cabinets? 1Kw, 131dB peak SPL from the 12" cabinet and loads of input options.

Haven't heard them, but am looking to arrange a demo sometime. I'd advise the same to you.

But.....

I echo the sentiments of others, I doubt a powered "Box on stick" solution is really going to do the job for you. You're going to need a lot of 1Kw cabinets to fill a crowd that is potentially deep and wide, especially over fireworks and with wind noise.

If you really want to go powered, I'd strongly suggest getting some decent covers made up for your cabinets. ProTech in Bradford did mine and were fantastic.

+1 for the QSC K series. Sound brilliant for a relatively inexpensive (£700) box. Loads of extra features too, and they weigh next to nothing.

The top hat allows them to be angled when they're on stands too.

Still, you're probably better off getting a passive/unpowered system - if you're covering powered speakers, then you're decreasing ventilation and potentially causing them to overheat.

I would tend to agree with the others who have suggested that you go for passive boxes, mainly because of the weather vs. mains issue.

Standard advice on speakers, as I think others will agree is LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY!

That said, given the spec in your original post - 15"/1000W per box, active - I would go for EV ZXA5s at arount £1200 +VAT each, but then I work for an EV dealer, so I would say that wouldn't I......

Archived